Use coil stamps to post parcels?

So when I was in the UK I used to use normal stamps to post my parcels without any troubles. Now I'm thinking of doing the same, but wouldn't buy that $100 coil of stamps (50 oversized mail rate stamps) before asking if it's a good idea or not. Many of my items can qualify as an oversized lettermail so I don't want to pay 5 times more than I should (you know, Shippo).

Has anyone done the same? 

Thanks!

Accepted Solutions (2)

Accepted Solutions (2)

@tuyetcumeo wrote:

So when I was in the UK I used to use normal stamps to post my parcels without any troubles. Now I'm thinking of doing the same, but wouldn't buy that $100 coil of stamps (50 oversized mail rate stamps) before asking if it's a good idea or not. Many of my items can qualify as an oversized lettermail....

I use oversize lettermail all the time for Canada. No tracking, but has a flat rate for all of Canada.

Canada - Lettermail (stamp rates unchanged since 2014, with no change for 2018)

Up to 5mm thick
000-030g .. 0.85
031-050g .. 1.20

Up to 2cm thick
051-100g .. 1.80
101-200g .. 2.95
201-300g .. 4.10
301-400g .. 4.70
401-500g .. 5.05

The rules for International Letterpost are changing in January 2018 with only letters to go at mail rates. Commercial sales are supposed to go Light Packet (over the counter only) or Small Packet (about a 20% discount when using Shippo or PayPal for labels) or parcel class.

I currently use lettermail for light stuff (under 200g for USA and under 100g for the rest of the world) or discounted Small Packet for heavier stuff. I will be making adjustments in January when the worldwide postal rules change.

If you want to pay at the counter you can use stamps towards the parcel payment (helps to deal with a clerk who knows to enter that into the computer).  On one hand you lose any online label discount, but if you buy discounted stamps (from ebay listings, stamp dealers or auctions) you can save.

-..-

I just sent a parcel to Australia with $78 worth of stamps all over it.

I learned two things.

First I confirmed that you can use 'P' stamps for shipping overseas.

This won't do you much good this year or next, but these stamps are worth whatever the First Class Domestic rate is when they are used, even if you bought them when they cost less.

Second, if the stamps won't stick to the paper, you can glue them, but you can't tape them on.

By the way, as well as buying stamps at the PO and paying GST , you can get some reallynice deals on stamps here on eBay.

And while we'e at it, if your items are going to weigh more than 500grams or are over 2cm thick, you probably don't want to use Flat Rate Shipping.

Take a look at this guide to Calculated Shipping.

For practice V8R 5G8, K0A0A6,  and 90210 are useful postal/zip codes.

https://www.canadapost.ca/cpotools/apps/far/business/findARate?execution=e1s1

Answers (0)

Ask a Question