Why is ebay keeping part of shipping costs?

416tipper
Community Member

The actual shipping costs can change up or down when I print the label from ebay/paypal. If the amount is less ebay is not crediting me the extra amount. Since the buyer paid this shouldn't it be going to me? As I see it ebay is skimming money paid to me. I tried to talk to customer service which was a WASTE of time. The girl who did not appear to understand what I was talking about finally said someone from accounts would get back to and no one did. At this point I won't sell on ebay any more. Anyone have any advise?

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

As far as I can see, this has not stopped a lot of cheap-item sellers.  I regularly encounter listings for 99 cent or couple-dollar items, with shipping of say, $15.  Now if the item is worth $15 or $16 I don't mind paying that, because you have to look at the total you pay for an item, as to whether it's reasonable.  What makes me mad is that it penalizes sellers who would charge shipping at cost.  I used to put in my (few) listings something about no extra fees, "you pay Canada Post rates".  Can't do that any more, because it means I lose money on shipping.  I don't think it has worked for what they claimed it was for, and it penalizes honest sellers. X-(

scifan57
Community Member
Because too many sellers were hiding the item cost in the shipping fee they charged.Ebay's response was to charge a fee on shipping costs as well as item costs. Here is the eBay fee schedule,including the shipping final value fees for auctions and fixed price listings.

Are you asking why ebay charges a percentage of the shipping fee?  That began when clever sellers listed an item price of 99 cents but a shipping fee of $120.  The total to the buyer was the same, but the seller in that case only paid fees on less than a buck.  You can see why ebay changed that.

So now, depending on your category you pay the same on shipping and item price.  It is an attempt to keep the whole thing fair to everyone, - and yes, especially to ebay. 🙂

Ask a Question