bought an item from a seller that only accept paypal, but he cancelled his paypal account

bought something from a seller, this item only accept Paypal as payment, when i try to pay, eBay can't connect to his Paypal account, I contacted him, he told me he cancelled his Paypal account and give me his phone number to pay by credit card....

I want to report this seller, but i can only open a case in 8 days, meanwhile he can try this to other buyer and maybe someone stupid enough will give his credit card number

look like fraud to me and since i bought this item, he know my name and address

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Here's what ebay says:

Payment options for most listings

For most categories, you need to offer at least one electronic payment or Internet merchant credit card option. This provides a fast and secure transaction for you and the buyer. When a buyer clicks the Pay Now button in My eBay, the listing, or email notification, they pay you immediately and the payment is processed through the option you've chosen. You receive an email telling you you've been paid and you can ship the item.

You can also offer payment upon pickup. Payment by personal check, cashier's check, bank-to-bank transfers, or money order isn't allowed for most eBay purchases.

You'll choose your payment options when you list your item.

Here's a comparison of payment options for most listing types. For details on each electronic option, click its name.

Paypal

Propay
Payment Upon Pickup

so you can have different options, lots of official businesses do offer credit card payments but they usually have some sort of system in place where you can still pay online.  I purchased stuff from another site and was directed to amazon of all places.  I agree that you should contact ebay customer service and tell them because an ebay account has to be set up with correct address, email and I would think some sort of payment method.  They may be able to cancel the transaction for you or advise you how to proceed.  Also giving the credit card number over the phone is much more preferable than an email, if I have to email it I split it into 2 emails just in case.  Ebay contact info should be able to verify if the store's number is the same as the one the seller gave you.

Hello 'dielsalder',

That seller most definitely should not be doing that.   He is supposed to have all his account

business set up well in advance of posting his listings so that buyers can easily and confidently

pay.

But then to ask for your credit card information over the phone??  There are a few businesss

sellers who can indeed take credit cards, - but such a shop will most certainly have the listings

set up to accommodate ebay's paypal system as well. 

I would be very suspicious of this guy.

You are obviously not comfortable completing the transaction, so I'd say don't.  You might like

to call ebay, -- up in the right corner of the page where it says Customer Support, - choose the

Customer Support from the drop-down menu and get a phone number.

Call ebay and see what they think of it, -- and maybe they can remove the item from your

Purchase History if you wish.

Just out of curiosity, - what kind of case did you plan to open?  There are only two choices,

Not as Described, or Not Received, and until you pay for an item you cannot do either.

You have not paid, is that right?

Anyway, there is not much he can do with your name and address, -- most people have that in

the telephone directory.  Just keep your credit card info to yourself.

Good luck.

Ask a Question