refunding a payment that hasn't cleared

misty_val
Community Member

Can I refund a buyer that has cancelled a transaction before his payment has cleared? I'd rather wait and have the funds to do so but it's already been 2 days since payment was made and I'm pretty sure he's waiting for the refund to accept the mutual cancellation we'd agreed on. Can I proceed with the refund anyway?

And does Paypal refund the fees when we refund someone?

Help anyone?

Thanks 😉

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Hello 'misty_val',

Even though the buyer used an echeque, officially the item has been paid for.  Hence, the buyer cannot get the money back for himself.  Good thing, or imagine the disarray if that cheque clearing period equated to time for changing one's mind. 🙂

Yes, the buyer is waiting to see he has his refund before accepting the cancellation.  It is the only wise thing for a buyer to do, and complies with ebay's instructions.  When the buyer receives the cancellation request, it very clearly says < < You should only accept the cancellation request if you haven't paid yet or you've already received your refund from the seller.> >  So by all means, go ahead and refund him.  You'll get your fees back because it's as if the sale never took place.

One thing to keep in mind, - if the buyer has not already done so, he can leave feedback, so you'll want to keep it sweet.  It might not hurt to send a brief note of apology for the refunding delay, a bit of meaningless confection.  You want the buyer to think you are wonderful.

Best of luck 🙂

Buyers cannot cancel echeques but seller can refund whether cleared or not. Use refund link and fees are credited. If uncleared is returned to buyer's account rather than sellers.

You can't refund money you don't have.

Suggest that the buyer cancel his payment (I guess it is an e-cheque which has been taken out of his bank but has not yet been cleared to Paypal or to you.)

That should put the payment back in his own bank (eventually) and puts control of the money in his hands. So if it screws up, it's his problem not yours.

Ask a Question