Item lost in the mail?

Hi there,
So I’ve always sold on eBay, never had a problem and shipping has always been quick. I shipped an item on the 4th of July to South Carolina sent tracked packet USA from Canada post and got a requested opened from the buyer saying he hasn’t received his item yet the estimated date was July 15th. It’s the 20th now and there’s still no update in tracking since the 12th via USPS where it just says it will be a late delivery. I’m assuming I’ll just have to take this loss and refund the buyer since it appears to be lost in the mail, just wondering if anyone else has ever dealt with this and if there’s a way for me to not lose money and get a shipping refund from eBay or the postal service? It’s just tricky because after refunding the buyer I end up losing the money that Ive already spent to ship the item. I’m assuming it will arrive eventually just not in the buyers preferred time frame and I don’t want a strike against my account as I pride myself on my eBay reputation.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

If the package is truly lost, you can put in a claim with Canada Post as tracked packet does have up to $100 insurance and they will also refund the postage.

Ebays eta to the US are optimistic so there is still a good chance that the package will be delivered....14-20 days for delivery isn't that uncommon. Have you been given a date for when the buyer can ask ebsy to step in?  If eBay steps in and refunds the buyer you will receive a defect. If you refund on your own, there will be no defect.  If it seems that the buyer is willing to wait a few more days, you might want to wait to refund.  I might tell the buyer that if the item is not delivered by xx that you will refund.   Or, you can refund now and if the package is delivered, ask the buyer to repay you.

If the package is scanned again, eBay may put a hold on the case if you contact them. But they won't do that unless there has been a scan in the  last 10 days.

Make sure you check tracking on the usps site as that may be more up to date than on eBay

As per eBay's policy, they require you to refund the buyer if a) you cannot provide tracking (which you can) OR b) if the item has been in transit without movement for 7 days or more. Since your last update in tracking was the the 12th, option b now applies to you. 

The unfortunate thing about this policy is that eBay's estimated shipping dates don't take into consideration processing times at customs. Even if you go to Canada Post's website and look up their delivery standards, they note that none of the estimated days for delivery include customs (mainly because customs in outside of the postal systems control). 

Depending on where it is getting processed the USA (Chicago perhaps?) there can be several weeks added as they work through a backlog. 

The first step I'd take is to contact the buyer and let them know that you received your claim and explain that it is most likely held up in customs. Ask the customer if they would like to wait for the item until a date that you both agree on, or if they would like a refund. 

Depending on what the customer comes back to you with, you can take your next step from there. The good thing about this order is that you do have tracked shipping which is certainly in your favour in eBay's eyes. 

As long as you respond to the buyer within 3 days, eBay will be happy. This doesn't mean that you need to resolve the ticket in 3 days however, but it all depends what the customer comes back with. 

For more information, see this article: https://www.ebay.ca/help/selling/managing-returns-refunds/help-buyer-item-didnt-receive?id=4116

Just to be clear, was this a Message from the buyer or has he filed a Dispute?
EBay gave him a window for delivery, an optimistic one,  but he cannot file a Dispute until the window closes.

there’s still no update in tracking since the 12th via USPS where it just says it will be a late delivery. I’m assuming I’ll just have to take this loss and refund the buyer since it appears to be lost in the mail

It's not lost, it's delayed.

The Chicago Terminal has been a Black Hole for months.

If he has not opened a Dispute, give him the tracking number (again) and make reassuring noises.

Just reiterating that the shipment has been sent and is on its way soothes some worried buyers.

If he has opened a Dispute, put the tracking number into your Response.

Sometimes the robots accept this and give you a longer window.

But.

As you thought, if the parcel is not delivered you owe the buyer a refund.

In addition to the Canada Post insurance claim, keep an eye on the tracking.

When the shipment finally is delivered, invoice the customer again, through Paypal since this is no longer an eBay transaction.  Include a cheery note being happy that his purchase finally arrived.
This works about half the time.