Purchased an item, now the seller left the site. Did I get scammed? What can I do?

Just purchased an item thinking I was getting a good deal, soon after purchasing the seller left ebay entirely. I feel like I may have been scammed.

I can't say for certain though, everything still seems to be in order and my order seems fine. I feel like the circumstances aren't improbable, but definitely sketchy.

So I'm wondering what my course of action should be from here, do I wait until it does/doesn't arrive, try to refund my purchase, or is there anything else I should check out before taking action?

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

If your seller has left ebay suddenly, chances are that he/she has ben given the boot. When one leaves ebay voluntarily, there is a minimum 30-day delay to ensure all orders are received and trouble-free before ebay will concede to close a selling account. Any quicker than that? A seller has been asked to leave. And I don't mean politely.

While it is possible that everything is well with your item-that-sounded-too-good-to-be-true, that is its own clue as to the reason your seller has vanished.

Here is what you need to do: check the delivery estimate and write that date on the calendar. If you have not received the item you ordered by that point in time, go immediately to the ebay Resolution Centre and open an Item Not Received case indicating the seller is not selling on ebay anymore and Not a Registered User (NARU.) This will expedite your refund.

If the seller reaches out to you in the meantime, DO NOT ACCEPT AN OFFER TO REPLACE. It is often merely a stall tactic designed to lure the buyer into blowing the case escalation deadlines and therefore losing their right to a refund. If something does come, it still may not be what you ordered. The only time that I, as a buyer, would consider a replacement offer would be if it came from a seller in good standing with ebay (check feedback) and one that is domestic, or one with which I had a previous business relationship.

Come back if you have additional questions. Good luck. 

Answers (0)

Ask a Question