Can I bid against myself if there are no other bidders to raise the price above the sellers reserve?

cad-1069
Community Member

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

I haven't done many auctions at the bay but those I did either started at a reasonable price or had other bidders participating causing the price to rise to a acceptable level. But this time I first bidder with a ridiculous low price that with no other competition will surely not satisfy the sellers reserve. So I would like to raise my starting bid from a low ball $1.99 to at least $150 to make the sellers reserve.

You can add another bid.

If that bid is higher than the Reserve, your bid will be recorded at the Reserve.

EG- the opening price is $10 the hidden Reserve is $100.

You bid $10 - your bid is accepted and shows as $10.

You decide to bid higher, although you are the only bidder. Your $25 bid is accepted, but still shows as $10.

You decide to go all out and bid $500.00

You have met the Reserve and your bid now shows at $100.

Basically, you can't raise your own bid by bidding higher. There must be another bidder for that.

But with a Reserve, you are also bidding against the Reserve, so if you meet or surpass that, you bid shows much higher, when you meet  the Reserve.

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

So if I am reading this right.

You want an item BUT your bid is below the sellers reserve.

You can increase your bid to meet the reserve, If your bid does exceed the reserve, ebay will only bid for your/to match the reserve.

NOT your highist bid. amount, unless another bidder comes on for the same item.

no harm no foul.

REMEMBER if you make the reserve price and you are the high bidder.

You are expected to pay. 

HOWEVER

If you are the seller.

No bidding on your own items   

Or you could win the ebay suspension for doing so. 

I never bid on or list auctions so perhaps I'm confused but if there is a reserve I believe that if you bid again and if it reaches the reserve, your bid will go up.  If there are no others  bidders and you increase your bid but it is still under the reserve your original bid will still stand.  But if your bid meets or reaches the reserve bid your bid will go up to the reserve bid.

Could someone can confirm that?

marnotom!
Community Member
Are you the buyer or the seller?

If you’re the seller, you shouldn’t even be bidding on your own item, but I think you know that.

If you’re the buyer and using the same ID, all you’ll be doing is increasing your maximum bid. You won’t be bidding against yourself.

If you try bidding against yourself using a different ID, that could set off red flags for the patrol bots. I wouldn’t recommend that. Your bids may be interpreted as colluding with the seller, or shill bids.
mcrlmn
Community Member

NO