Pitney Bowes and Global Shipping Program

It is unfortunate that these days most USA sellers on eBay choose the Global Shipping Program for sales to Canada.  That way the cost of shipping is higher, and it takes much longer to deliver bought items.

In my experience, Pitney Bowes who runs that shipping program, ought to be one of the most inefficient shippers in North America. Their dispatch center in Erlanger KY consistently takes up to 4 days to print a customs declaration label for Canada, and stick it onto the package.  That's a task that should not take longer that 5 minutes to complete even when filling the customs declaration by hand.

I do not think eBay should be proud of their business affiliation with Pitney Bowes.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

In my opinion the Global Shipping program is just a way to collect more taxes.

The GSP is run by Pitney Bowes. As a courier, GSP/PB, like UPS or FedEX, has to assess and charge the importer any Canadian duty or sales taxes applicable.

The GSP does this at point of sale, before the seller is even instructed to ship.

Other couriers do it on delivery.

So yes, the Canadian government wants to collect duty and sales taxes on imports.

still charging taxes on items less than $100 when the limit was raised a few years back already.

For imports from overseas the duty and tax free allowance is still the $20 it has been since the mid-80s. This includes the UK, where eBaydotcodotUK  also has the GSP available as a Seller Protection.

Under the newest version of NAFTA, imports from the USA have a duty free allowance of $150 and a tax free allowance of $40. In most cases, there is no duty and what the buyer is paying is made  up of the sales taxes and the ~$5 GSP service charge.

It is also indeed slower, on average about 3 weeks to get from USA to my location in Canada.

I've been selling by mail order since the 1970s, and three weeks has been the norm for delivery for all that time, whether I was shipping wood stoves or postage stamps or books. Nearly 50 years and it hasn't speeded up in all that time.

It is also a royal pain to combine shipping as the program is only set up to buy one thing at at time.

If you put your purchases into your shopping cart before buying, the GSP does let your seller adjust THEIR part of the shipping cost.

However, many seller offer Free Shipping, which means that the seller's cost of shipping has been folded into the asking price for the item.

Normally they create one new listing for the multiple items that I might want to buy. But it is a tedious time consuming process and creates a lot of work for the seller, just not ideal.

Yes. It is. Thus the shopping cart option.

Another thing is that they open EVERYTHING. ... This is always the case.

Just no.

Thisis a stupid urban myth.

The minimum wage in Kentucky is $7.25 an hour. How long do you think it takes a line worker to open inspect and repack ever single item that goes by him? How much do you think PB/GSP profits from that process? How much does PB/GSP spend daily in supplying packaging materials to make sure the packing is worse?

It's all about collecting taxes and finding things that should not be shipped over international borders.

Yes.

Some years ago CBSA was stopping low value imports from China, in part to slow the importation of fentanyl.

marnotom!
Community Member
The Global Shipping Program is being phased out and replaced by a scheme that is touted as being less expensive but still providing a lot of perks and incentives for sellers. None of us has any idea how it will be for speed, but as a general rule I allow two weeks minimum for non-express shipments from the US to reach me and don’t get too worried about their whereabouts if less than a month has passed since they were sent off.

Having said that, customs declaration labels don’t get affixed to items forwarded by the Global Shipping Program. I’m wondering if you’re thinking of the other international shipping program currently available to US sellers where customs charges are paid at the time of delivery rather than in advance.

yep...items are beat to junk getting thrown around the country unnecessarily.

And it wastes resources and fuel for negative gains