From China "free shipping" and "economy international shipping"...what does this mean.

The item I want to buy is approx. $2. Cdn. and ships from China. I live in Canada.
The seller states free shipping but it also states "economy international shipping."
Am I going to get slammed with shipping costs?

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (7)

Answers (7)

No

"economy international shipping."  is just a simple way of saying the seller will choose the cheapest appropriate way to ship.

The cost is "free" , which means it is included in the cost of the item, not separated out.

Which means two things:

You're buying a piece of carp, since the shipping even at subsidized China Post rates will be much more than the value of the item.

It will probably be shipped Surface and will take many weeks to arrive.

If you import an item valued over $20, Canada Post will charge you $10 to broker the item, plus GST/HST/PST, and any appropriate duty. This does not apply to $2 items.

I just did this and can't track my item. Any advice on how to track it?

ZOMBIE THREAD FROM 2013

The problem with zombie threads is that the advice may be out of date and incorrect.

Free Shipping means the cost of shipping is included in the sales price.

Economy International Shipping means the seller will ship the cheapest way he can find. It will be slow and untracked.

06-18-2018 09:44:29 PM

I have the traking number but I not able to track my parcel what can I do
EBay gave you a last estimated date for delivery.
Tracking is a Seller Protection, and is only emotionally useful to buyers.
If the last date has passed, go to the Resolution Centre at the bottom of this page and open an Item Not Received dispute.
The first suggestion is to Contact the Seller. This is a courtesy not a requirement.
Tell the seller the tracking number is incorrect.
But all you want from him is the date of shipment, the service he chose and a useable shipping number. Don't get into a conversation.
If the number he gives does not show up in the Canada Post website,
ask eBay to step in and Escalate to a Claim.
If the seller does not prove delivery (not shipping, delivery) you will be refunded.

IF  the seller is in the USA or UK , and used the Global Shipping Program, your actions should be different, but since you are in a thread about shipping from China, I guess we can let that go.

Same here. I purchased an item from Ebay that supposedly shipped from China to Canada. Order is 2 months late from date of estimated delivery. Tracking has been indicating 'item not found'. How do I know who the seller of this item is, as Ebay says contact seller first.

This is just frustrating.

ynanud
Community Member

I was very suspicious the first time I ordered a "free shipping" item from China, but I and my daughters have ordered many items and are rarely disappointed. Once an item didn't arrive and the seller was so afraid I would leave bad feedback that he refunded my money immediately. The Chinese government must heavily subsidize this and have some sort of deal with Canada Post. It seems too good to be true, but it seems to work. 

UG748274847CN

No you wont. I would worry more about duty but that's unlikely as well.

Ask a Question
Top Helpful Posts