How to deal with a surprise FedEx bill?

drj35a9
Community Member

Hello Everybody,

I recently sold a model car to an eBayer in South Korea and I paid $80CAD to ship it there, using Canada Post Priority. I understand this service is a joint collaboration with FedEx

While the package reached safely last week, I got a surprise invoice from FedEx this week and apparently I owe them $338CAD. The invoice also claims that I used their International Priority shipping, when really I only shipped it at the local Canada Post office.

Has anybody else had the same issue? If so, how did you resolve it?

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Perhaps your Buyer refused to pay FedEx -- Duty and taxes will be collected from the person receiving the parcel when it’s delivered. And FedEx is trying to collect from you instead. Or they want to hit you up for the cost of returning. Or both.

The invoice should have more details other than a demand for money.

@drj35a9 wrote:

Hello Everybody,

I recently sold a model car to an eBayer in South Korea and I paid $80CAD to ship it there, using Canada Post Priority. I understand this service is a joint collaboration with FedEx

While the package reached safely last week, I got a surprise invoice from FedEx this week and apparently I owe them $338CAD. The invoice also claims that I used their International Priority shipping, when really I only shipped it at the local Canada Post office.

Has anybody else had the same issue? If so, how did you resolve it?

One possibility is when the label was created, the box that needs to be checked off for who is responsible for any customs processing or taxes wasn't. In the past in those cases it defaults to shippers responsibility. You may need to contact Fedex Canada directly to confirm.  Fedex will/should also be able to give you a break down of the fees owed. Special requirements for customs attached. Limit for customs is 150,000 WON/176.oo CAD. Some countries include any shipping paid for the valuation. Appears a quarantine inspection could  have been required.

https://www.canadapost.ca/tools/pg/manual/PGIntDestDetails-e.asp?table=tblCountry&txtLetter=KR

-Lotz

marnotom!
Community Member

What are you being charged for?

Ask a Question
Top Helpful Posts