How to determine shipping fees for first time seller

ka141313
Community Member

I am a new seller with only one item to sell. I am totally confused about how to set the shipping cost in my ad. I am guessing my item will be 2 lbs, and guessing in a box that would be 15" wide x 24" high.  That is a guess. I am selling multiple set dinnerware. When I entered those dimensions into the shipping calculator the estimate came up around $60 depending which city in  Canada that it ships to. That's crazy! Who would pay that much for shipping?  Am I missing something or is that actually what I would have to charge if I sold the item on eBay. Cause if it is, I guess I might as well stop creating my ad now.  TIA!

View Entire Topic

@ka141313 

Your guess for weight seems a bit low.

But that does not matter much since the big shipping elephant is the box size.  Canada Post and other shipping companies have a dimensional surcharge for large boxes.  Length x Width x Height divided by number to get a dimensional weight value.  If your box was 15x15x24 inches (38x38x61cm) it would have a dimensional weight of 17.6kg or 39 pounds for the Canada Post shipping cost calculation.

Ebay does allow you to use calculated shipping for Canada Post. But you do need to enter weight and dimensions. ebay will take care of calculating and displaying the shipping cost for a buyer's location.

How breakable is your dinnerware?

You can also set up an ebay listing and only allow local pickup (or use ebay's free cousin, kijiji). I had someone drive 6 hours to buy my grandmother's 1930 china set -- I considered it too risky to actually mail anywhere.

-..-

Ask a Question
Top Helpful Posts