"Standard international shipping" and hidden fees

arn250
Community Member

I just bought an item that indicated "Free shipping" from Japan, supposed to be delivered through "Standard international shipping". Item description stated that there could be some "custom processing and additional charges."

I now just received a notice the item was in fact sent through FedEx and that I had to pay over 40$ in various fees. I did not receive the bill, just a call indicating I had some sums to pay. I never had to pay hidden fees before and I ordered from Japan in the past.

Question 1 : What is "Standard international shipping" ? I thought it would be handled through national postal services.

Question 2 : FedEx asks to pay them custom and taxes, and an added fee just to pick up my item at the customs. Shouldn't that fee be absorbed by the seller?

View Entire Topic

I don't know the declared value of the item in question, but $40 may be a reasonable amount to pay to FedEx depending on the amount owing in tax and duty.

FedEx, like UPS, charges $25 and up for "customs brokerage" while Canada Post charges $9.95 and the GSP charges ~$5USD.

And FedEx has a nasty habit of delivering the parcel, then billing later for the import fees including their very profitable"brokerage" fee.

Most of that $40 will be the brokerage and the other $15 will be mostly  sales taxes, since we have a Free Trade Agreement (TPP) with Japan.

Ask a Question
Top Helpful Posts