what about COD charges?

Hi,

I have had this happen to me before, most notably with a Kirby vacuum cleaner I purchased quite some time ago, and found that I had to come up with more shipping money.  This time it is shipping with Canada Post.  I received a Delivery Notice with an Amount Due of $17.82 and taxes on top of that.  I cannot have my item (which is a coat I purchased) until I come up with more money.  It looks like the Seller put a Collect On Delivery charge for the shipping people to collect more funds from me, which I think is unfair since I have already paid over $35.00 for shipping and handling and this extra cost seems to go back to the Seller from what I can figure out.  Please note that I have sent a message of enquiry to the Seller and have not had any response come back.  What can I do?

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

More likely it is either the duty and taxes on an imported item OR the seller underpaid the postage and Canada Post, rather than sending it back to him, is charging you the difference.

In either case, if you want the vaccuum, you will have to pay Canada Post.

NOW,

You can contact the seller and let her know about her error. Remember if this is an undercharge on shipping that she should have been charging more and you would have been paying it in any case. Still, correcting the error is now her job.

You can leave appropriate feedback for the seller. The most effective feedback is calm and factual" Seller underpaid postage, $17 demanded on doorstep by PO"

You can leave Detailed Seller Ratings. The normal rating is five stars. The lowest Rating is ONE Star.

If it's sales tax and duty, it's your job as a citizen to know about it and pay. And if you complain in Feedback,your feedback can be removed.

Hi maggie,

as follows from the CBSA : http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/import/postal-postale/duty-droits-eng.html

Importing by Mail

In this section

Duty, Taxes and Handling Fees on Items Mailed to You Duty and tax exemptions

The CBSA can examine almost any item that comes to Canada by mail.

You may have to pay duty, the goods and services tax(GST) or the harmonized sales tax (HST) and theprovincial sales tax (PST) on items mailed to you. If you owe duty and tax, it will be indicated on Form E14, CBSA Postal Import Form, which will be attached to your mail item when it is delivered.

The amount of duty or taxes you may owe on an item depends upon the following:

The item’s value in Canadian dollars

Under the provisions of the Postal Imports Remission Order, if someone mails you an itemworth CAN$20 or less, you don’t have to pay duty or taxes on the item. If the item isworth more than CAN$20, you must pay the applicable duty, the GST or HST, and any PST on the item’s full value.

Items that do not qualify for the CAN$20 exemption include the following:

• tobacco;
  • books;
  • periodicals;
  • magazines;
  • alcoholic beverages; and
  • goods ordered through a Canadian post office box or a Canadian intermediary.

Handling costs

To process goods imported as mail that are subject to duty and/or tax, Canada Post charges the recipient CAN$9.95. If the item is duty-free and tax exempt, no amount is charged.

All amounts must be paid at the time of delivery (by cash, certified cheque, VISA, MasterCard or your Canada Post commercial account).

Agreements and disagreements

If you disagree with the duty and/or taxes assessed, two options are available to you.

Ask a Question