Is "I will not be providing a tracking number, please purchase this item at your own discretion!" Sufficient protection against lost items?

lifeisnbd
Community Member

Tracking numbers are very expensive and if included in the price will destroy my competitiveness on eBay. What can I do to protect myself against lost items during shipping? What messages or proofs can I provide?

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (6)

Answers (6)

That's odd. Most of the time we can click on a poster's name to see what they are selling or get some idea of their track record, which allows us to target the actual problem.

Your ID gives me neither.

However.

No.

That's a terrible idea.

First because loss in transit is not common. Delay can be, but the postal system is very good at getting your shipment to your customer, even with postal employees off work with the pandemic, changes to the work environment (fewer planes and trucks, more spacing in terminals), sabotage by insane presidents, etc.

Remember that people come here with problems and that there are millions of sales made daily on eBay. 

Second is human nature. Your Terms of Sale should always be upbeat and seem to be for the benefit of the buyer.  Tracking is a Seller Protection, but gives the buyer to warm fuzzies. Insurance is also for the seller, but the buyer feels even more warm pink fuzzies. So when you do use tracking, you would not be saying "I will track this so don't go trying to scam me you lousy crook". You would say "Tracked and Insured Delivery" and let them live the dream.

Third is also human nature.

If you tell the customer that you are not tracking outright, some will choose to buy from you over a seller who does track, knowing that they can open a Claim and get your item free.

Tracking numbers are very expensive and if included in the price will destroy my competitiveness on eBay.

Some things are not suitable for mail order.

If the item is valuable enough to demand tracking, but not valuable enough to make tracking affordable, don't sell it online. That's an item for Craigslist or Kijiji.

How much does the item cost you? This, not what it might sell for, is what determines how you ship it.

@donkeykongvsbowser_7 

Unfortunately the default in search is best match vs most recent. Causes minor confusion on a REGULAR basis.  ZOMBIE discussion monitor should be here shortly to  Blast Icon of Colored Outline style - Available in SVG, PNG, EPS, AI & Icon  fonts

Why not just say"This item is FREE! Buy it and then Dispute for Non-Delivery! I have no protection at all! All scammers and crooks welcome to bid!!!!"

No.

The way to handle this is first to realize that unlike the USPS, Canada Post automatically insures most of its services against loss or damage in transit, and is very good about paying out on reasonable claims.

(There are changes coming soon. Read about them and don't panic.)

When such insurance is available, say that the shipment is insured. "For your protection" if you like, although the insurance actually protects you. Many scammers don't understand the difference between insurance and delivery confirmation and won't bother trying to fake you out.

Then use self-insurance to cover uninsured services.

Or look into third-party insurers like shipinsurance.

And crunch some numbers. Just as B&M stores get a percentage of shoplifters, online retailers get scammers. Learn how to recognize the obvious scams and adjust your selling practices to beat or manage them.

Note that some categories (electronics, dolls, horsetack, games, many others) are rife with scammers.

Self-insure based on the actual number of refunds you are asked for. With eBay, this is higher than on other sites I sell, but even so, as a bookseller I see maybe one or two claims of non-delivery a year, often cleared up while we are still discussing the problem . The postal service is very reliable.

Don't panic.

sorry there is nothing you can do if you have no tracking number 

sorry.

ZOMBIES< ZOMBIES< EVERYWHERE

People could just scam you by saying they didn’t get the package.

why not just charge for shipping?