Shipping quotes before listing item; not after item sold

Ebay's got their promotion with Canada Post until the New Year and I've been taking advantage of the break in shipping cost, printing my own labels and dropping off packages with shipping already paid... But how can I get shipping quotes before I even list the item?  I can even pre-package the item, measure and weigh it at home and enter those figures with my listing, but I don't get any shipping quotes yet. 

So, I miscalculated the discount due to the size of the parcel.  When I confirm the weight and box dimensions, only before I'm about to send, and long after I estimated shipping and factored that into my listing.  So, I got stung pretty bad.  Am I missing something?  Can I even get quotes as I'm listing?

Also:  shipping options provided only cover to a maximum $100, but my item sold for over $200.  I normally deal with a cross-border shippers, so I guess I'll have to skip the offer thru eBay this time.

View Entire Topic

@chupacabra2000 wrote:

Ebay's got their promotion with Canada Post until the New Year and I've been taking advantage of the break in shipping cost, printing my own labels and dropping off packages with shipping already paid... But how can I get shipping quotes before I even list the item?  I can even pre-package the item, measure and weigh it at home and enter those figures with my listing, but I don't get any shipping quotes yet. 

So, I miscalculated the discount due to the size of the parcel.  When I confirm the weight and box dimensions, only before I'm about to send, and long after I estimated shipping and factored that into my listing.  So, I got stung pretty bad.  Am I missing something?  Can I even get quotes as I'm listing?

Also:  shipping options provided only cover to a maximum $100, but my item sold for over $200.  I normally deal with a cross-border shippers, so I guess I'll have to skip the offer thru eBay this time.

@chupacabra2000 

As a side to what @flipistics  posted if you want to cover yourself for additional insurance the only way would be either built it into your unit pricing or add as a handling charge. You are unable to charge after the fact. The insurance you can purchase with eBay labels is based on final selling price.Something you won't  always know in advance. If you purchase your postage directly through CP (not eBay Labels) you can purchase additional insurance on a case by case basis. 2.75 per 100.00.

-Lotz