Should I Sue Ebay

concorde1996
Community Member
I sold a $745 Nintendo Switch bundle and was notified on ebay that payment was sent but it was not showing on my paypal...I contacted Ebay and they told me my funds were safe and to ship the item...I wasn't totally confident so I waited a day and checked and the payment was still on ebay but not paypal...I emailed again and ebay assured me I should send the item and my funds were safe...i sent the item and now both ebay and paypal tells me the buyer has cancelled the paypal transaction and they cant do anything to help...I asked to escalate this and no one will return my email...I can only upload 1 photo but this clearly tells me to ship the item and assures me that my funds were safe, now I'm out almost $800...with all the emails assuring me it was safe to ship I feel that this is a pretty clear cut case
Thanks for your opinions!

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (6)

Answers (6)

EBay has offices in Toronto.

If you are in Ontario you can open a Small Claim fairly easily.

In other provinces, I don't think this would work.

Report the theft (by the customer, not eBay) to your local police and get a report number.

Use the police report to claim on your home insurance-- or commercial insurance if you carry it.

Last time I had a discussion with a lawyer, the one hour consultation cost me $300 (and was well worth it).

Did the Switch cost you $745 new? Was it used and now lower in value?  How much money are you really out?

Never trust Customer Service.

Anyone can mark eBay orders paid, as it should, because local pickup for cash payment is still a thing.

But if you can't print a shipping label from Paypal using the customer's payment, it has not cleared the banking system and you have not been paid.

Never ever trust Customer Service.

I always feel that when users come here with these types of questions/concerns, there is always something missing.

So a few questions.

Is this your first sale in a while or are you a regular seller? Because if you changed e-mails but never updated your eBay listings, that would account for the discrepancy.  Always check your listings to ensure your PayPal address is correct, it's been known to revert here and there. (Especially if say you used to have a store and had old store policies etc. that had an old e-mail)

Did you reach out to PayPal (they have alternative contact methods just like eBay right now) and see if they could locate a payment that is unclaimed? 

Always be safe online. I know that it can be convincing or you may feel pressured to ship, but if something doesn't seem right, you can reach out to eBay via Social Media (as phone are proverbially off the hook) and they can tell you if the payment was sent to a wrong address etc.

You could even reach out to your buyer and say you are just trying to confirm payment details as here seems to be a glitch. Most buyers are understanding if you are upfront and honest.

If you sent via CPC, it may still be possible to recall the package, depending where it is.

mcrlmn
Community Member

Small claims... yourself.

A lawyer isn't practical, as the retainer alone would eclipse the amount of your claim.

You will find guidance and forms on your province's official website.

B.C. is here:

https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/justice/courthouse-services/small-claims/how-to-guides

You will also find info regarding COVID-19 precautions and disruptions.

And tragically the lesson is-- customer service wants to get you off the line as quickly as possible.

Only ship when you see the money in your Paypal account.

Emails from any source are never reliable.

Can you recall the (tracked?) package before it gets to the scammer? 

This post is from April... just curious if OP is still around, and if anything came out of it? 

All E Bay cares about is the buyer never the seller. If the Buyer does not steal from you E Bay will step in and do it for the buyer. Sorry for you loss. my suggestion is look at another site to sell on