EBay International

The current Global Shipping is not a good shipping method in my experience the United States to Canada. I bought six small jewelry items which came to $107. They wanted $97.00 to ship the items instead of approx $15. Most sellers have worked with me. One seller refused to find a solution and just deleted all my winnings. So eBay loses, the seller loses and I don’t get the items I won. Seriously this needs to be changed.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (5)

Answers (5)

marnotom!
Community Member

One of the weaknesses of the eBay International Shipping service is that it's very reliant on accurate information from the seller for the size and weight of the item being shipped.  If the seller skimps on this info, the eIS "bot" or AI will likely calculate a high shipping price based on the category the item is listed in since it has no way of figuring out what the item actually is.

Also keep in mind that as eIS is a glorified forwarding service, the shipping charge you see is the seller's charge for shipping the item to the forwarding hub in Illinois plus eIS's shipping charge from Illinois to the buyer's location.  If the seller is charging a fair chunk of change to get the item to Illinois, that's going to make a big difference to what buyers have to pay for shipping.  From what I've seen, eIS's shipping charges are usually competitve with postal rates, but the addition of the seller's shipping charge to the eIS charge can be a deal-breaker.

Another of eIS's weaknesses, the inability to charge "combined shipping" for multiple purchases from the same seller, is apparently being addressed but I haven't seen any examples of it in action yet.

Right now the only option sellers have for combined shipping cost for Ebay international shipping is to to make listing for all items. Some sellers are willing to cancel the multiple orders and combine them into one, others are not.

Ebay has said they in the 'near' future they will allow for combined shipping costs with EIS. We will have to wait and see what that looks like.

"The current Global Shipping is not a good shipping method in my experience the United States to Canada..... Seriously this needs to be changed. "..

what and how do you think it is going to be changed? This shipping method IS NOT for the benefit of the buyer...it is for the benefit of the seller.

eBay has set up this shipping method to help its sellers. It is the seller's rersponsibility to know about using this shipping method. It is the buyer's choice to purchase from a seller who uses this shipping method. eBay does not have to appease the buyer when a seller uses this shipping method. It is the seller's responsibility to appease a buyer IF the seller chooses to do so...and in most cases sellers don't want to be bothered  to change their shipping method as it is to their benefit to hand off all shipping risks to another party.

It is the buyers that must make the choice that best suits their needs.

Depending on what reason was given, the Seller may have ended up with a Defect, or even one Defect for each cancelled transaction.

Best for the Seller is Buyer Request, which would be reasonable in both cases posted here. And Problem with Address while inaccurate is possible.

If the Seller chose another reason they got a Defect which can lead to higher fees, restrictions on the number or value of listings, or even a closed Selling account.

We should be aware that eBay put US sellers into the eIS program without asking them or notifying them. So some sellers were surprised/horrified that they would be shipping to us dangerous furriners, although with both eIS and the now defunct GSP the Seller actually shipped only to a US address where their responsibility for delivery ended.

I agree. I wanted to buy six used DVD for about $45.00...shipping from Boston to Montreal was $106 with Global shipping. The seller told me that there was nothing he could do so of course I did not finalize the order.