Here we go again. Another Global Shipping Confiscation!!

Hi everyone.  Well, it's happened again.  First my antique umbrella and now a pair of fencing swords that I purchased from a seller from the U.K.   I just received, a couple of weeks ago, a sword from Brazil with no problem.   It was delivered in two weeks.  Not bad considering it took three weeks for two vintage postcards to get to me in B.C. from Nova Scotia.  The only difference  was that the sword wasn't shipped through Global Shipping.  I have purchased four other swords in the pass few years.  All from American sellers with no problem.  Now this.  What could the problem be with fencing swords, old rusty fencing swords!  I researched eBay and Global Shipping policies and could not find anything stating that swords were not allowed.  Like many other buyers I am probably going to steer clear of sellers using Global Shipping.  Maybe eBay all together since Canadians are going to start being charged sales tax!!

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

marnotom!
Community Member

The list of prohibited items for the UK Global Shipping Programme includes "weapons" which is sort of, kind of, defined as "including firearms, knives, etc."  Seeing as there have been several accidental deaths involving fencing swords, the UK GSP likely doesn't want to take a chance shipping something that, in theory, could be weaponised.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/help/global-shipping-programme/default/global-shipping-programme?id=4646

Global Shipping (spit spit spit) is a Seller Protection program which has never had any use for buyers.

I've made three purchases with it, and while none had any delays, one was opened and repacked (in a much much larger box, but with a notice that it had been done), one in my opinion had a higher shipping cost than necessary, and one was entirely my mistake for not paying attention to the total price.

Just to be clear, does Canada allow the importation of weapons/swords from Britain?

Less to the point, were the "rusty" swords a health hazard and would it help if you had proof of a recent tetanus vaccination?

I avoid it too.  It is not designed for Canadian buyers.

17 days after my GSP item cleared Canada Customs I finally got an email saying telling me Intelcom has the package and gave me a tracking #. This is the first time that I was informed officially (had a sneaking suspicion) Intelcom was the carrier of record and the tracking # for the shipment