New International shipping rates US to Canada

I've been a regular eBay buyer (never a seller) for over 20 years. We lived in the US  for over 15 years, and when we moved to Canada several years ago, I was happy to pay what seemed like reasonable charges to have items from US sellers delivered. As of last fall's  implementation of the new eBay "International Shipping" policy, even small, light  clothing items frequently ship with charges as high as $60 and more. I simply refuse to pay that much to have a $25 item shipped as I suspect much of the profit from these transactions is going into eBay's pocket. I have tried negotiating with individual sellers to arrange lower shipping rates, but I find they often refuse or ignore me. I get that--it's a lot of trouble to change shipping arrangements for just a few items. Does anyone know of a route for appealing this change to eBay? Am I alone in finding this change unreasonable? My only recourse here is to stop supporting eBay sellers, and I really don't want to do that...

View Entire Topic

charges as high as $60 and more. I simply refuse to pay that much to have a $25 item shipped

Perfectly reasonable

as I suspect much of the profit from these transactions is going into eBay's pocket.

No.

The seller charges and gets the shipping fees. EBay does get a fee (12.9%) on that fee, but not the money itself which goes mostly to the shiping carrier.

I have tried negotiating with individual sellers to arrange lower shipping rates, but I find they often refuse

Many sellers have learned that a request for lower shipping charges is part of a scam to remove expensive tracking costs.

Tracking is often the only Seller Protection against false  Not Received claims.

This might be helpful:

https://postcalc.usps.com/?country=10440

Note that the highest priced shipping rate is at the top of the list of services.

Note also that the weight and dimensions of the parcel are used, but not the value of the contents.

You could try asking the seller if they would consider using FirstClass International Parcel for shipping,which is the cheapest service, and includes the all-important tracking.

If you do, point out the TRACKING which is what they want.

Buyers were complaining about what they felt were high GSP charges, although the GSP charge included Canadian duty and sales taxes.

The new International Shipping does not include those.

While this is unimportant for US imports where the duty free allowance is now $150 and the tax free allowance is now $40, on higher value imports it could be a shock on the doorstep when the carrier demands more money before releasing the item.