New International shipping rates US to Canada

I've been a regular eBay buyer (never a seller) for over 20 years. We lived in the US  for over 15 years, and when we moved to Canada several years ago, I was happy to pay what seemed like reasonable charges to have items from US sellers delivered. As of last fall's  implementation of the new eBay "International Shipping" policy, even small, light  clothing items frequently ship with charges as high as $60 and more. I simply refuse to pay that much to have a $25 item shipped as I suspect much of the profit from these transactions is going into eBay's pocket. I have tried negotiating with individual sellers to arrange lower shipping rates, but I find they often refuse or ignore me. I get that--it's a lot of trouble to change shipping arrangements for just a few items. Does anyone know of a route for appealing this change to eBay? Am I alone in finding this change unreasonable? My only recourse here is to stop supporting eBay sellers, and I really don't want to do that...

View Entire Topic

Am I glad to have found this post!

I agree 100% with you.  In the past weeks, I've been shocked to see shipping charges jump to 50-60$CAN for almost everything, from every seller I browse.  And mostly for small or medium items, not very heavy.

I was about to buy another item I've purchased on January 26 for 6.99$US + 14.10$US shipping, but the cost is now 6.99$US + 39.74$US shipping.  That's insane!

Last week I received an offer for an item I was watching.  The price was indeed a deal, but shipping was 67$CAN for a simple pair of pants!  I contacted the seller and he answered me: "Hi, I unfortunately don’t have control over the shipping rates internationally. My price is $8.99, the extra charge is from international. It won’t let me lower it either."

I can't spend my days contacting US sellers to explain that eBay changed their shipping charges, possibly without them noticing, and that they should adjust them or risk losing sales from Canadian buyers.  For now, I don't see eBay International Shipping as being good for Canadian buyers.

But how can we alert eBay that their new system is hurting them?  I don't think that chatting with a customer service agent will change a lot.  I've been buying on eBay for 17 years, but if nothing changes, I'll just leave and go buy elsewhere.  And that's sad...