Seller Altered Price, Shipping, and Return policy after I Inquired about Item.

aliuh
Community Member

I asked about their return policy in the event this item was not compatible, and they said yes, they accepted returns.  So I made an offer $9 less then asking, which they declined. 

I went to make another offer and noticed they dropped the item price by $5, raiesd the shipping price by about $6, now their policy says they do not accept returns, and the "Make an Offer" option is gone. 

I realise the price changes might be only graceless buissness choices, but changeing the return policy hours after I asked about it?  I can only imagine they hoped I wouldn't notice and refused it in the event it needed returning. 

This is literally the only one of these items on Ebay, otherwise I would just move on.  

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

From a seller's point of view, one of the useful parts of getting offers is that they give us a chance to review listings we may not have looked at in ages.

I know I got an Offer last year on an item that turned out to no longer in stock, because I had miscounted the number I had in hand.  On another occasion, the Flat Rate shipping had not changed although there had been two PO rate changes since the original listing.

Both of those problems were, obviously, my responsibility.

In your case I suspect asking about returns before buying prompted the seller to reconsider has stance on returns.

I also suspect that he does not know that No Returns does not mean No Refunds.

It does mean that the buyer pays for return shipping, something to consider before buying something that might not fit.

The effective changes he made raised the cost (price+ shipping) by one dollar. I wonder if he moved from Flat Rate shipping to Calculated Shipping, which might raise the rate to you, but reduce it for a buyer closer to his home.

If you still want the item, you should ask specific questions. Let him know how you plan to use is and what you already have. ("Will this tubular bell #286B fit into my Mork BabelPhone #888Z?)  . Without that information both of you face a lot of frustration, expense and lost time.

Oh. You may also be on his Blocked Bidder List.  It is not unusual for sellers faced with the costs of returns and refunds to Block buyers who indicate that they may be returning the item.

Answers (0)