Buyer wants to cancel, then demands cheaper shipping

Buyer used Buy It Now, and paid.  Messaged me a few hours later, twice, asking to cancel because she "didn't realize" the shipping cost more than the item. The shipping would have been stated on the page, and she PAID. So probably buyer's remorse.  I told her to go ahead and request to cancel, and unpacked her item. Then she messaged again disputing the shipping cost. I had used calculated shipping, within Canada, weighed and measured the box before listing, and eBay still came up with a cheaper price than what it would cost me to mail it. Buyer doesn't believe me, demands weight and dimensions so she can calculate the shipping herself.

Now she's asking for cheaper shipping rates via a different service. It's a perishable item so I am not offering slow regular parcel.

I don't see this going well -- given that she first sent 2 requests to cancel, am I OK to go ahead and do it?  She didn't use an official link from her end, just a message asking to please help her cancel. Then all the back-&-forth started.  Augh, I forgot what a hassle selling on here is  >:[

What do I do now?

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

A buyer can send a 'cancellation request' only up to an hour after purchase.  After that, they can ask the seller to cancel by sending a message....there is no other way to do it.  
I would cancel using buyer requested to cancel. 

Answers (5)

Answers (5)

" I regret you are unhappy with your purchase. I will cancel the transaction as you requested. Your payment will be automatically refunded."

And then cancel and add her to your Blocked Bidder List.

KISS.

Buyer request is the proper form and will cause you no problems. She sent her request to cancel through eBay Messages? All the better.

Don't argue . You won't convince her.

images.jpg

@3islanders wrote:

Buyer used Buy It Now, and paid.  Messaged me a few hours later, twice, asking to cancel because she "didn't realize" the shipping cost more than the item. The shipping would have been stated on the page, and she PAID. So probably buyer's remorse.  I told her to go ahead and request to cancel, and unpacked her item. Then she messaged again disputing the shipping cost. I had used calculated shipping, within Canada, weighed and measured the box before listing, and eBay still came up with a cheaper price than what it would cost me to mail it. Buyer doesn't believe me, demands weight and dimensions so she can calculate the shipping herself.

Now she's asking for cheaper shipping rates via a different service. It's a perishable item so I am not offering slow regular parcel.

I don't see this going well -- given that she first sent 2 requests to cancel, am I OK to go ahead and do it?  She didn't use an official link from her end, just a message asking to please help her cancel. Then all the back-&-forth started.  Augh, I forgot what a hassle selling on here is  >:[

What do I do now?

If buyer is looking for confirmation of actual shipping charges (based on counter rates for your benefit), you can fill in the fields at CP and send them the link. Many buyers are under the impression that postage is based on value. It's not. It's final package weight and or size plus their location and applicable services. Some buyers just need to see for themselves.

-Lotz

Thanks to these "regulars" who are always on here answering questions!

A few hours later...?  I would have said, "sorry, I have already taken it to the post office."

i find ebays shipping is wrong about half the time. it has even managed to give free shipping a couple of times. this is great as it can be more that the item was sold for. also a lot of their shipping dates to various areas is no longer accurate also. shipping to china even with the letter registered is taking 90 days. i have to give a refund only to have it arrive but ebay has already erased the sale and it has no way for the buyer to reimburse me.  i like some of their changes but they are getting sloppier by the day.