Hidden Fees for Sellers

nedulon101
Community Member

I discovered as a new seller this unusual fact, I was given 250 free listings for my items on this site,

then after I make my first sale of 3.70 (including shipping) , There is a 'Transaction Fee' attached to the payment of 0.94 cents. . . So how can that be? If the item is to be listed for 'free' under the 250 agreement, then how and why am I paying a 'transaction fee' for my sale. Can anyone answer why this hidden fee seems like I have been lied to? This discourages me from using Ebay in the future, I may very well close my account soon because of this. It's not about the money amount, it's about morality and truth.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (5)

Answers (5)

250 Free listings only means you can put the item for sale for free. It does not mean you don't pay any fees once your item sells.  Listing Fees and Final Value Fees are 2 completely different things.

Think of it this way, you are allowed to open a booth at the Ebay mall and put 250 items for sale without paying any rent.  You can take advantage of all the Ebay Mall ameneties for free regardless of if your item sells. However, if you sell an item, Ebay gets their cut in final value fees. If your item does not sell then you pay nothing to Ebay.      

This was disclosed to you when you opened a selling account and accepted the terms of service AND it is stated in every listing before you click "LIST IT"Screen Shot 2023-04-16 at 10.57.41 PM.png

There are no hidden fees ...only your lack of knowledge about  listing and selling on eBay. Number 1 rule about selling on eBay or any selling site is to know the facts first before you list on a site....

It's also best to know the facts BEFORE you make false accusations.

https://www.ebay.ca/help/selling/selling-guides-tips/selling?id=4081

https://www.ebay.ca/help/selling/fees-credits-invoices/selling-fees?id=4822

@mrdutch1001 

"It's also best to know the facts BEFORE you make false accusations."

False Accusations are easier and more "inflammatory" than oversight and not reading. It's just like the use of the terms Scammer, Fraud, etc, etc...

It's more like NOT READING details in many cases, as you are well aware.

There is no hidden fee...

...the only issue here is YOU as a MEMBER not reading the fine print or details in your rush for your FREEBIES!

READ the RULES BEFORE you dive in and sell!

LIsting is free.

This is not true of many sites, which make their money by charging a small fee on listing, and low fees on selling.

While eBay fees can be as low as 3%, most categories are 13.5% plus a 30c non-refundable service fee.

That fee is charged on the sale, the shipping charged to the buyer, and the sales taxes* the buyer pays to his government.

In addition, if your buyer is in the USA, you will pay an additional 0.04% international fee.  Most of your buyers will be in the USA.

You may also pay some optional fees if you choose to use those usually promotional offers. Promoted Listings is a recent introduction and you will see a lot of discussion about that. Another Really Bad Idea is using Reserve on Auctions.**

All of which goes to say, if you are listing anything for less than about $10, you will lose money.

*Because the fee is on the customer's ENTIRE payment. And sales taxes are transaction taxes, not item taxes.

** Actually using Auction is not a great idea in the first place.