I am a little lost as to how I should calculate my ebay fee?

hhaaoodd
Community Member

I sold an item in the Toys and Hobbies category for $570, the shipping costed $36.50 and the buyer payed $60.65 for GST with a total of $667.15.

When I was charged for the ebay Fees, I was charged $95.48 on the amount of $606.50. How do I go about calculating the fees, specifically for the Toys and Hobbies category, and also does the fee amount change depending on the location to which the item sold is being shipped and where would I find all of the specific percentages? Also I sold the item at auction and was wondering if that had an effect on the fee also?

I have this question because I had previously sold another item (also at auction) that gave me an 11.3% fee but for this sale, the fee looks to be around 15.6% which a lot higher than previously.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

You're in Managed Payments so your final value fees and money processing fees are paid at one time rather than one having one payment in ebay and one in Paypal.

Most categories including toys are 12.35% on the total including any taxes charged.  There is also a .30 transaction fee.

If the buyer is in the US there is an extra .4% added on and an extra 1% for other countries..that is called the international fee. 

If you look at the payment section in your sellers hub, it should give you at least some of the breakdown but as I'm not in MP I don't know yet exactly what it shows.

I can't quite figure out how it came to 95.48 so either I am doing something wrong or one of the numbers is wrong?   Since shipping was fairly high and gst was charged, I'm assuming that the buyer was in Australia.

667.15 x 12.35% x 1% =.30 = 89.36

The managed payment fee information is here..

https://www.ebay.ca/help/selling/fees-credits-invoices/selling-fees-managed-payments-sellers?id=4822...

Is that Canadian GST? Are you registered to collect and remit taxes?

Or is it Australian?

That's a big jump from the ~$10 Pokemon cards that make up most of your stock on this ID.

You would be charged 10% on the selling*price.

You would be charged 10% on the shipping price.

You would pay a non-refundable fee of 30c to the payment processor (usually Paypal for a new seller like you)
You would pay 2.9% if this is a domestic sale/3.9% if this is a foreign sale  to the payment processor on the FULL amount of the payment including sales taxes.

does the fee amount change depending on the location to which the item sold is being shipped

Not as such, but most US states have an Internet Sales Tax (really the state sales tax) and you pay a 3.7%  fee** as part of your payment processor's fees.

And your shipping cost varies by destination as well as weight and dimensions.

Also I sold the item at auction and was wondering if that had an effect on the fee also?

Not really, unless you had more Auctions listed than you had "free" spots available, which doesn't seem to be the case with this ID. The difference would be 35c which is negligible.

*https://www.ebay.com/help/selling/fees-credits-invoices/store-selling-fees?id=4122

** 2.9% domestic,  3.7% USA , 3.9% 0verseas