New or Used - which is better for NOS?

Hello all! Newbie with a question. I sell mostly NOS - not quite vintage but close. The packaging is usually sealed/present and condition varies though contents are untouched. So, for eg, a sealed Barbie that's 15yrs old and box has minor wear. Is that new or used? Or a doll with damaged box? Not sure how anything not made within the last year can be considered new but I see others selecting new for anything NFRB. My concern is that if I select new, might be opening myself up to INAD claims. Woluld you choose new or used? TIA!

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Whenever I have sold Barbies Never Removed From Box I always put them as "Used" as there will almost always be some type of wear to box. As marnotom has said there is a grey area, especially the newer/more recent the item is from. The buyer can see the photo that shows item is still in box plus you can say NRFB in title (I see you have done this already!) and within the description.

If people are looking for a particular item and look at yours and someone elses I don't think it would matter if one said new and other used, they would more likely go by the photos shown and the description (at least I would!) especially for collectible items.

I've even had people ask me to remove the dolls from box to ship them since the shipping would be cheaper. Some people are going to take it out of the box anyways, depends on the buyer.

Thank you! I'll read that link. I like the idea of used better since the items are technically not "new". Much appreciated!

marnotom!
Community Member

You've probably found this page already, but for the benefit of others reading this I'll note that eBay gives some guidelines for item condition descriptions here:

https://www.ebay.ca/help/selling/listings/creating-managing-listings/item-conditions-category?id=476...

Given the lack of shades of grey when it comes to the Collectibles category--which I assume is where you plan on listing these items--I'd probably list these items as "used" given that a "new" item is supposed to be undamaged.