New seller , General question.

So I'm fairly new to all this despite my account having a bit of age. I listed an item sold it as one does on ebay. The buyer pointed out a bit of damage and acknowledged that there was damage so I gave him a discount on the item. The buyer then filled out the label and i printed it off and got it shipped next day. couple of weeks go by and the seller realized they hadnt filled in the address properly. So I contacted abay and ebay said the buyer was on the hook for that. I told the buyer that if it was returned to me we could deal with it then. So a week goes by its returned to my address. I let the buyer know that I received it back and I will ship it out at my cost but to confirm the proper address this time. The buyer then confirms he got it but is unhappy with it despite being aware of the damage that was already on it and assuming it got more in transit. At this point who is on the line me or the buyer? 

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

You sold an item.

After the sale (?) the buyer requested and got a discount.

Oh dear.

The buyer then filled out the label and i printed it off and got it shipped next day.

Ummmm- what?

Normally the buyer pays the seller for shipping (as advertised in the listing), the seller prints his own label and sends the parcel to the address the buyer gave when he set up his eBay account.

Did you allow the buyer to send you a label on his own (courier/UPS/DedEx/etc) account?

Oh dear.

and the seller realized they hadnt filled in the address properly.

He didn't know his own address?

And is claiming the shipment didn't arrive?

Oh dear.

ebay said the buyer was on the hook for that.

Whew.

Yes, when a purchase is Undeliverable, the seller is not required to refund one single penny.

https://www.ebay.ca/help/policies/ebay-money-back-guarantee-policy/ebay-money-back-guarantee-policy?....

So a week goes by its returned to my address.

Ummm... the buyer knew where it was ?

So what was he returning it for?

Oh. Wherever it went, it came back to you . The buyer was not involved.

I let the buyer know that I received it back and I will ship it out at my cost but to confirm the proper address this time.

Again-- if the parcel was Undeliverable you owe him nothing.

Well.

Gosh.

Some sales are not worth having.

At this point, you were conned into a post-sale refund.

Sent an incorrect address.

Had the shipment returned from the "incorrect" address.

And you think YOU are the problem.

Gosh.

Nothing will ever make this idjit happy.

Don't send the item out again.

Never allow a buyer to send you a shipping label (there is a complex scam about those).

If an item is Undeliverable, the buyer is responsible for ALL shipping in any direction. He made the mistake, he takes responsibility.*

You are NOT required to refund ANYTHING if a shipment is Undeliverable. That includes Refused and Return to Sender.

And if he threatens you with negative feedback, two things.

EBay does not use feedback to assess member accounts.

And the threat is Feedback Extortion and has serious repercussions on the extorter.

Because this guy is playing you and that is page three in the playbook.

*And you are not required to refund for the price of the item either.  Now you might feel differently,  and if you have an urge to refund the selling price, remember to reduce it by the costs of listing, FVF, and that pesky 30c non-refundable payment processing fee.