Need advice on Canada Post refunds for an item lost in the mail - sent tracked/insured

Been selling for 20+ years on ebay, always send packages with tracking/insurance. 

Package was sent to a US freight forwarding company (at buyers request, with the address provided on ebay). Used Ebay shipping lables, sent Expidited with extra insurance added to $1000.

Tracking has been showing "item out for delivery" for almost one month so I filed a claim with Canada post.

Canada Post says they can do nothing because there is no email or phone number associated with this freight forward company.  Buyer is international and has no other information on the company.

My question: What is the use of adding tracking/insurance if we cannot claim it? Item is showing "NOT delivered" by USPS, so why do I have to have confirmation from the reciever that it was not delivered?

IF it was a fraudulent or wrong address, wouldn't USPS have returned it back to me? 

Thank you for any advice you can offer.

View Entire Topic

I haven't had to do it through eBay labels but I have however, a few times had to "Open a Ticket" with Canada Post and all were resolved (cheque sent to me or they found tracking update). I do know they require a phone number of the recipient because they told me that they had been trying to confirm with the buyer (they had his phone number but he wasn't answering/returning their calls). I ended up messaging the buyer and told them Canada Post was trying to contact him to confirm he did not receive the package and I was lucky enough that my buyer did reach out to them to confirm. Interestingly (coincidentally?) the package arrived two days later.

If you are sending to US have you gone directly to USPS site, put in tracking there and you can request updates which are often more up to date once item is in US hands.

You don't mention if buyer has been asking about it, opened a case or if you are concerned because tracking is not updating. That happens sometimes that the tracking never updates even though it has been delivered. Even Canada Post would not know if USPS didn't do the final delivery scan, that is why they try and confirm with the recipient by phone (or email as I found out).