Shipping to Europe since Oct. 1 EAD (Plus Happy Thanksgiving!)

Hello,

Woke up to a previously frequent buyer from Italy (who hasn't bought for a while since eBay stopped allowing Buyer to Contact for Costs feature) asking if I could ship there again.

I had stopped since there kept being more and more problems and didn't want the extra hassle. With no one asking I stopped investigating it any further.

I know I had received an email from Canada Post saying effective October 1st there were going to be changes to Shipping to Europe with a new Electronic Advanced Data being put in place to have items pre-reviewed before they arrive. From what I could see in the email from CP, along with all the buyer and seller info (which has always been there and not a problem), the HS Tariff Codes most be used (I can do this for dolls) but the thing that concerned me was they said the details on item had to be very specific. Example they gave is you can't just say "Shoes" you need to also include Brand/Material/Colour, etc. In my case I sell dolls (which is what I would have described) now they need all the extra specifics? Anyone shipped to Europe recently (October) and come across the extensive item details? I looked back a bit because I thought it was talked about here but couldn't find it. Thought I'd check before I start working on the dinner!

And if you are reading this today Happy Thanksgiving! Thankful for all you helpful folks out there!

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

@msau4301 wrote:

Anyone shipped to Europe recently (October) and come across the extensive item details? I looked back a bit because I thought it was talked about here but couldn't find it. Thought I'd check before I start working on the dinner!

And if you are reading this today Happy Thanksgiving! Thankful for all you helpful folks out there!

I became aware of this issue while researching my response to the OP of  the HS code to ship 3 DVD's from U.S. to Italy?? thread.

Forgive my clumsy screen cap, but I saved it anyway because it at least broke out the sections, headings, and sub-headings of info desired/required for EU import going forward:

1. HS (Harmonized) Code (6 digits) - Required Worldwide
  2. CN (Customs) Code (extended to 8 digits) - Optional for EU but Preferred
  3. TARIC (Tariff) Code (extended to 10 digits) - EU Import Exclusively

A Little Thanksgiving Game here: "Fill-in the Missing Right-Hand Text"*:

EU-Import-Tariffs.jpg

Better yet, just search the European Commission website and / or TARIC. I'm already too Turkey-stupid to do so myself...

Good luck all!

@msau4301 

@reallynicestamps 

The concern would be if eBay Labels is proactive and addresses this situation properly/timely before it does become a problem. There are already numerous known deficiencies with eBay Labels. Pretty sure we don't need any more.

One of the issues I pointed out ages ago (and still not fixed) was the requirement by foreign postal services (it's noted in their FAQ) similar to couriers that a valid email and now cell(preferred vs landline) to contact the receiver if there are issues. The email was built into shippo/cp. Totally skipped by eBay labels. This is a requirement (mandatory field) for courier shipments. If that info is not there, shipments could be returned at a sellers expense. This could be substantial for international shipments.

-Lotz

-Lotz

Canada Post tends to be very specific about what is needed.

The guy on the terminal floor less so.

But then your shipment might end up with the guy on the floor who missed his coffee break and takes his annoyance out on your shipment.

Now that some blood has returned to my cranial region, the following screen cap better illustrates what the EU now considers "a valid HS Code, including complete TARIC":

Screenshot 2023-09-08 at 22-10-08 Taric Support. Your all-in-one platform for customs information.png

Although this example was specifically for DVDs, apparently the 6, 8, or 10 digit hierarchy now applies to all goods entering the EU. In such a code dizzy environment, a human being might no longer get to actually read any text description on the package. And as others have already noted, a shipment could be held indefinitely awaiting agent review or simply rejected and returned automatically for non-compliance.