What is the alloted time window on refunding a INR claim?

Hi. I sold something to a person in Dallas Texas. It went untracked light packet Airmail. I sent it on July 11th. The lady said she still hasn't gotten it.  It normally takes 8-10 days.The expected delivery date was July 27th (on the ebay invoice).

I want to refund before she files a case and Ebay steps in to avoid the extra ebay charges and because it is the right thing to do.

First refund ever. What is time window for the refund? Is it the order form date of expected delivery July 27th?

Also I planned to ask the buyer if it shows up to please tell me and I can redo the listing so she can pay me. Is that a good idea or a bad idea? Thanks for any information.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

I don't think it is necessary to send a refund before the buyer asks when the estimated delivery date hasn't quite come yet. They can't open a case until after the estimated date has passed and most people are okay to wait a couple more days if you ask. I've had items arrive a few days after estimated date and not had a problem. Even if she does open an INR case you have a few days to refund her without any penalty.

If I were you I would ask her if she minds waiting a couple of days and hopefully it will show up, otherwise you are happy to issue a refund. If she hears that chances are pretty good she will wait a few days and hopefully you get some good news from her of it's arrival.

It was tracked. You just did not enter the number. We send small packet usa all the time like at least 5 to 10 times a week and 99% of the time the tracking shows up after it gets to chicago. That is 99 out of the last 100 that sucessfully tracked. It has been this way for a few years now.

The UR number is only on the label and not on the receipt so too late now for this item. Just take a few pictures of the label and enter it on ebay tracking and enter canada post as their system will try to default to usps as the carrier. This only works for ebay and will not show up on usps.com or canada post.

See attached picture for example. This also works for Spain through their postal website ONLY and a few other select countries the same way. These other non usa countries do not track on ebays system, only their own postal websites.

Until the buyer files an item not received case, there is no timeline for a refund. Once the buyer opens a case, and there is no tracking showing delivery, you have to refund within 3 business days.  Ebay will give you a time as to when you have to settle the case and it is important to do it before that time. If you don't, ebay will refund on your behalf,  you will receive an unresolved claim default and you will not get your fees credited.

As long as you refund before that time, a case being opened has no real affect on your account and you will be credited your fees.

If a buyer contacts me before they open a claim, I usually ask them if they would mind waiting until a specific date and to let me know if it hasn't arrived by then.   If you mailed it on the 11th, I would probably ask them to wait until the 1 or 2nd as that would be the 3 week mark.  Most buyers are willing to wait.

If the Buyer does not receive the item, the Buyer will contact you. Until then you wait...

...and if she does open a request you will be able to sort it out at that time, it seems odd you would want to refund an item before being contacted by the Buyer.