Who pays for insurance?

scvcgoods
Community Member

I have been providing insurance for my items but there isn't an add on on Ebay to add this. 

What do other sellers do?

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

@scvcgoods wrote:

I have been providing insurance for my items but there isn't an add on on Ebay to add this. 

What do other sellers do?

@scvcgoods 

If you use calculated shipping you could build insurance using the handling charge option. It's a 1 time thing. You can't upgrade/change the amount if for example the item sells for higher than you anticipated. (Auctions).

-Lotz

First what do you think insurance will do for you?

It won't lead to more gentle treatment in transit. It won't make your package move faster. It won't pay for items that are claimed as Not As Described, except in a few instances when the shipment arrives with a notice that it got run over by a truck.

So.

Cookie Jar Insurance.

Which is just setting aside a few pennies, or dimes, from every sale in a virtual Cookie Jar as a self-insurance premium in case something goes pearshaped.

The benefit is that you are not paying out part of your customer's payment to a third party in case something unlikely happens.

So you keep more money from your sale.

And CJI covers delay and loss in transit, damage in transit, damage from your own poor packaging, even the occasional false NAD or INR claim because those pennies can add up fast if you are selling steadily. Both those charged to the customer as a handling fee /part of the asking price and the savings from not buying third party insurance.

You can even forego tracking on inexpensive items being sent LetterMail (domestic) or Small Packet Surface (USA) and trust the postal system which is quite good at its job.