new seller

I AM LOOKING TO BE A SELLER ON EBAY FROM ONTARIO CANADA, AND AM JUST LEARNING

THE ROPES, LOT TO ABSORB.   WILL BE SELLING CLOTHES, SHOES, SMALL HARD GOODS FROM

MY CLOSET AND AROUND MY HOUSE FOR NOW.    WHAT IS THE BEST WAY TO PRINT LABELS

AND INCLUDE POSTAGE, SHIPPING WITHIN CANADA AND TO THE U.S. CAN I USE A DYMO

PRINTER, AND PURCHASE POSTAGE FROM EBAY.  I HAVE A GOOD FEEDBACK RATING FROM SELLERS.  ALSO, DO I OPEN A STORE

RIGHT AWAY?  THANKYOU

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Do not open a store. You will have selling limits like 10 items a month until you prove yourself. Note this is items not listings. You get 50 free listings in a month so no need to pay for more with a store at this time.

Do not sell right away. Wait for more advice. Only list one item when you do.

Ship by Canada Post only. Choose a small item.

Wait for more detailed advice!!!!

DO NOT USE ALL CAPITALS IN POSTING. IT IS CONSIDERED TO BE SHOUTING AND RUDE.

Use normal case, proper selling and good grammar. Be considerate of your readers. Same for when you create listings for items you wish to sell.

Answers (5)

Answers (5)

Clothing is an overcrowded category.

Brand /designer names do best. (Old Navy is not a brand. Eileen Fisher is a brand.)

Search each garment you plan to sell by brand name, to see what competition is like.

Search both Lowest Price + Shipping AND Highest Price +Shipping.

Put the size in the Title.

Put the measurements in the Description.

Measurements are more important than size.

Do not lay out garments on floor to photograph.  Use a plain background.

You are right to start with things you already own.

You need a measuring tape and a digital scale. I bought a Starfrit kitchen scale at Canadian Tire for less than $20.

Shipping is the hardest part of selling online.

Bookmark this.

https://www.canadapost.ca/cpotools/apps/far/business/findARate?execution=e1s1

Sign up on that site or at the PO for a Small Business Solutions card. It gives you a discount on some services.  You will need it whether you use SnapShip(Canada Post), Paypal, or Shippo (which eBay will send you to automatically).

Clothing can be sent in a poly envelope. You can buy these cheaply on eBay. Choose a seller who leaves feedback on shipment.

Feedback is not used by eBay to assess your account. Do not fear feedback.

No returns does not mean NO REFUNDS, so don't bother with it.

PO boxes and freight forwarders are the safest addresses.

All US sellers are paranoid. Search the Seller Board for Cookie Jar Insurance.

When starting out do not open a store.

In the beginning new sellers have selling limits so a store is not useful right at the start.

You can have up to 50 free listings on ebay.ca per month.

When starting out do not ship outside Canada or the USA -- especially now when the COVID-19 virus is effecting shipping.

-..-

Hi everyone,

Due to the age of this thread, it has been closed to further replies. Please feel free to start a new thread if you wish to continue to discuss this topic.

Thank you for understanding.

No, it's probably not a good idea to open a store right now. New selling accounts are subject to restrictions, by number of listings, by dollar value, by where you sell to and even what you are permitted to sell. As you gain experience the restrictions are gradually relaxed. Research selling restrictions for new sellers. Good luck with your endeavours.

your better off on another site ,this place will just rob u blind in ther over priced fees ,