Border Security TV Show

So I was watching this right. Does anybody find their process a little invasive?.

I saw a couple of episodes where they were looking at peoples phones. Reading texts and looking at pictures(inside another room).
Never happened to me but its pretty weird. I never thought they were allowed to do that.

Message 1 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

Border Security TV Show

I have never watched the program however I would assume by choosing to cross a border you are agreeing to those measures.

No one forces you to cross a border it is something you choose to do so.

Message 2 of 7
latest reply

Border Security TV Show

Yes that is true but the topic is not about whether to cross or not to cross the border . Its about the measure they use and as a Canadian do you feel that it is ok for them to do it?. How about more invasive practices?. Strip search or xray's(dont know if they do this here but they do this in the US)?.

Message 3 of 7
latest reply

Border Security TV Show

Customs Searches

Under Canada’s Customs Act, CBSA officers have widespread powers to stop and search individuals, their baggage and other possessions and devices at any Canadian port of entry, be this a land border crossing, air terminal or sea port. When such searches have been challenged in court, judges have typically recognized that people should have reduced expectations of privacy at border points. In this special context, privacy and other Charter rights are limited by factors such as sovereignty, immigration control, taxation and security.

What you should know:

• CBSA officers are authorized to conduct searches of individuals entering Canada, including their baggage, parcels or devices such as laptops, BlackBerrys or cellphones. These searches may be conducted without a warrant.
  • In addition, officers may examine devices for photos, files, contacts and other media, in much the same way customs officials have broad powers to open, inspect and seize mailed packages being delivered into Canada.

https://www.priv.gc.ca/resource/fs-fi/02_05_d_45_e.asp

Message 4 of 7
latest reply

Border Security TV Show

Most people  will agree that anything that helps keep the bad guys and the bad things out of the country  is a good thing.

Those that have something to hide will not agree.

Message 5 of 7
latest reply

Border Security TV Show

LOL. Just because I dont want strangers looking into my phone doesnt mean im hiding something. Even if a person is hiding something, it doesnt mean it is illegal.

Its similar to someone looking into your bedroom window. Does that mean you are doing something illegal because you want your privacy?.

We have to catch bad guys but its the process that is a little troubling.

Message 6 of 7
latest reply

Border Security TV Show

I feel kind of embarrassed to say that that I've watched the show a few times and it is totally UNBELIEVABLE what people try to bring in - from a family from the U.S. with apx. 4 guns, including AK 40 or whatever, you know what I mean to some people from countries bringing in HOARDES of banned food.

If you watch the show a few times, you'll see why they take their cellphones - they glean SO much info when the people are lying through their teeth whilst breaking out in a sweat.  It's also amazing when they go to Canada Post and putting parcels through the X-Ray machines.  Mega drugs hidden in ways you wouldn't have thought remotely possible.

I personally am so very pleased that Canada has these laws and these people (yes, believe it or not) work really hard to TRY to stop known criminals, drugs & guns coming in here.

Message 7 of 7
latest reply