Cancelling a bid

So I had a buyer bid on an item (Brand New with Tags) and I am in the habit of checking feedback that buyers have left for others they have bought from.

Holy Smokes! Every single feedback they left a seller (more than 25) had been negative. I thought about it and then cancelled the bid and I put that as the reason.

Does eBay get to see the reason that I cancelled the bid? I hope so because I have a hard time believing that every single transaction was negative for this person. Does this person get to see why? I hope so as well. They need to know why they can't bid on my item anymore.

I never thought I would cancel a bid but I was not about to sell this item for .99 cents, lose money on shipping (because if I sell an item I always ship it regardless of cost) only to have this guy leave me negative feedback.

Message 1 of 20
latest reply
19 REPLIES 19

Cancelling a bid

You also have to put that bidder on your Blocked Bidders list

or they can still bid on your items.

Message 2 of 20
latest reply

Cancelling a bid

You can also Report the buyer for malicious bidding. You will see no more than a polite thank you from eBay, but your Report will put him on their radar and he may lose his membership.

Message 3 of 20
latest reply

Cancelling a bid

How do I report him?

Message 4 of 20
latest reply

Cancelling a bid

Thank you, I forgot. 😞
Message 5 of 20
latest reply

Cancelling a bid

I realize that it is none of my business but why are you listing items for 99 cents with free shipping when shipping costs you more than that?

Message 6 of 20
latest reply

Cancelling a bid

PJ - In case you are wondering, the $0.99 bid is from me! 😉

For my youngest granddaughter (will be 8 month old next week)

Message 7 of 20
latest reply

Cancelling a bid

I'm sure that she will look adorable in it. 🙂

Message 8 of 20
latest reply

Cancelling a bid

I frankly do not expect to buy the lot at that price.  There are a few pieces that would fit my 2 year old granddaughter.

I am surprised the seller would offer "free shipping" with a $0.99 starting price on a one day auction.  Why not go for seven days?  Why the rush?

Message 9 of 20
latest reply

Cancelling a bid

You never know...you could win. I agree that it is very risky to start a 1 day auction at that low of a price.

Message 10 of 20
latest reply

Cancelling a bid

I am just looking to clear out the stuff I have. I've been hanging onto it for awhile. Whatever the bid ends up being, even if it was .99 cents, I would send it. There is a dress in there that is worth $50 alone, but it's just time to move it on out. It's all ready to be shipped. Just needs an address.

eBay selling is a hobby of mine. I started out hoping to make money but I just like selling things. Not too worried about the money part.

Message 11 of 20
latest reply

Cancelling a bid

You can also Report the buyer for malicious bidding. You will see no more than a polite thank you from eBay, but your Report will put him on their radar and he may lose his membership.

I must ask, why is the buyer who is bidding on the seller's 99c items, acting maliciously?what should he/she do during the bidding process? the act of bidding can not be malicious ,can it?

I'm just trying to understand .

Thank you.

Message 12 of 20
latest reply

Cancelling a bid

@jg01302 wrote:

I am just looking to clear out the stuff I have. I've been hanging onto it for awhile. Whatever the bid ends up being, even if it was .99 cents, I would send it. There is a dress in there that is worth $50 alone, but it's just time to move it on out. It's all ready to be shipped. Just needs an address.

eBay selling is a hobby of mine. I started out hoping to make money but I just like selling things. Not too worried about the money part.

ebay loves you.

Message 13 of 20
latest reply

Cancelling a bid

@jg01302 wrote:

Oh, how I wish!! 

It just seems that we have to work harder and harder to make money here.   

Message 14 of 20
latest reply

Cancelling a bid

"Sometimes you have to take your thinking in a new direction because circumstances and opportunities have changed : Richard Branson

I find that statement applies to The New eBay Universe Rose.

Message 15 of 20
latest reply

Cancelling a bid

@bb_cool_stuff wrote:

"Sometimes you have to take your thinking in a new direction because circumstances and opportunities have changed : Richard Branson

I find that statement applies to The New eBay Universe Rose.

You're right, 'bb', of course, where business in general is concerned.  Still, I think we sellers on this site are dealing not only with adjusting to the ever-changing demands of the marketplace (with its challenges and pitfalls), not to mention changes in technology in general, and rising costs everywhere, but we also have the added layer of rules that eBay imposes on our activities.  Some of those rules, IMHO, run counter to common sense and to good customer service, although they may benefit eBay and benefit eBay's biggest pals. 

I'm not the sort of person to give up easily, nor am I a pessimist by nature, but after thoroughly studying the new "rules" and hearing what the eBay.ca staff have said in answer to sellers' questions, I'm beginning to feel oppressed.  I think there is only so much innovation and adjustment one can do before the burden of the über-regulation on this site overtakes our capacity to adapt in a timely way.  My biggest hope/wish: that they would just stop making significant changes to the rules for a couple of years.  (I know, futile, but I can dream...)

Message 16 of 20
latest reply

Cancelling a bid

I'm not the sort of person to give up easily, nor am I a pessimist by nature....

Of course you aren't, I knew that from our offline messages.

I am starting to think that the Sales in my Category may have peaked & are now showing nominal growth.

First Quarter Sales are just 15 % over last year, I consider that growth equates to spinning wheels.

I am starting to add some auctions to draw traffic to the store.

Trying to be creative and may add some similar, but not clothing items.

You can make it work, we just have to find a new way to work within the New Parameters.

The Gang always finds a way.

Message 17 of 20
latest reply

Cancelling a bid

I did my own search and found the policy related to this thread:

As a buyer, you're not allowed to bid on or buy an item in order to harm a listing or to leave negative or neutral Feedback or low detailed seller ratings for the seller.

I can't believe there are people who would hold a grudge  like that.

Message 18 of 20
latest reply

Cancelling a bid

There are some vicious people out there.

According to the news today, most are Boston Bruins fans.

Message 19 of 20
latest reply

Cancelling a bid

Yeah but some of them are dying that never died before. 

Message 20 of 20
latest reply