Fake 925

This is eBay's biggest problem and paypal's headache as well.  Go to DHGATE.com - vendors use stock photos and you can prove, even without testing (but bear minimum buy a good magnet - it picks up or strongly attracts the piece, you know its alloy plated).  

Send the vendor proof that the item(s) you bought are in fact alloy but you only have a small window of opportunity - when the plating comes off, the time to act for refund has passed.

NOTE - ANY REAL 925 WILL NOT PROVIDE CARE INSTRUCTIONS SUCH AS NOT GETTING THE ITEM WET, REMOVE WHEN SWEATING OR SLEEPING - THIS ANOTHER VERY GOOD INDICATION THE ITEM, ALTHOUGH HALLMARKED AS 925, IS NOT.

NOTE 2 - REPORT SUSPICIOUS ACTIVITY - IF THE VENDOR IS BEING UNREASONABLE AND DEMANDING YOU RETURN THE ITEM BEFORE ANY REFUND OF CREDIT IS ISSUED, THIS IS ANOTHER SCAM TACTIC.  THEY KNOW YOU WON'T PAY THE SHIPPING AS ITS ALWAYS MORE MONEY THAN THE ONES YOU PURCHASED, AND NEVER MAIL BACK WITHOUT BEING ABLE TO TRACE THE PACKAGE OR THEY WILL CLAIM TO HAVE NEVER RECEIVED IT - NOW YOU'RE OUT YOUR MONEY AND ANY COSTUME JEWELRY.  BY REPORTING SUSPICIOUS ACTIVITY AND BACKING IT BY ATTACHING A LINK TO DHGATE OR ALIEXPRESS FOR THE TRUE COMPOSITES USED, AND IF EBAY CONCURS, THEY DELIST THESE PRODUCTS FRO THE VENDOR.  BUT AGAIN, YOU NEED TO PROVE YOUR CASE. BY SUBMITTING THIS INFORMATION.

NOTE 3: PRIOR TO DELISTING THE ITEMS WITH EBAY'S ASSISTANCE FOREWARN THEM OF OUR INTENTIONS AND IF NO REPOSES, ESCALATE TO BOTH PAYPAL AND EBAY.

I PERSONALLY CAN NOT UNDERSTAND WHY WE ARE EXPECTED TO PAY FOR RETURN SHIPPING WHEN WE HAVE BEEN DEFRAUDED.  FOR A SMALL ORDER, VENDORS WILL AVOID NEGATIVE FEEDBACK - 30% AND THEY ARE KICKED OFF EBAY FOR GOOD, THEIR IP ADDRESSES ARE RECORDED SO IT ISN'T LIKE THEY CAN JUST REOPEN ANOTHER STORE.

TIBETAN SILVER, ANTIQUE SILVER, ITEMS BEGINNING WITH SF (SILVER FILLED) AND S80  ARE ALL ALLOY MATERIALS PLATED.  BEWARE OF WHAT YOU ARE BUYING - LOOK AT THE NEGATIVE RATINGS THE VENDOR HAS RECEIVED, BUT I HAVE YET TO FIND ONE ITEM IN FASHION JEWELRY THAT IS TRUE 925 AND I HAVE BOUGHT HUNDREDS OF ITEMS.  DO YOU HOMEWORK AND USE COMMON SENSE - IF A RING IS SUPPOSEDLY 925 AND WITH OR WITHOUT GEMSTONES, FOR LESS THAN $5.00, IT IS FAKE 925.  HOPE THIS HELPS - I SADLY GOT TAKEN FOR THIS STUFF AS WELL - HEED CAUTION FORM PREVIOUS BUYERS, AND DON'T FIND THE SAME STYLE FROM ANOTHER VENDOR - THEY ALL SELL THE SAME CHEAP PLATED ITEMS.

Message 1 of 10
latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

Fake 925

Just a comment - maybe you'd get some answers you want if you don't post in caps.  It's "shouting" but mostly too hard to read - I gave up after the first 2 lines.

Message 2 of 10
latest reply

Fake 925

I was going to say paragraphs are you friend...

However the previous answer is also appropriate.

Do you realize that the purpose of this board is to ask questions about paypal ?

May I suggest you post on the discussion boards instead?

http://community.ebay.ca/t5/Discussion-Boards/ct-p/11002

Message 3 of 10
latest reply

Fake 925

odnan........... I didn't actually read that from start to finish (too painful).............. but  buying Sterling on eBay means that you have to see the stamps.

You are right on.............  Listing items as Sterling which are not is an extremely common practice.

So widespread in fact to the point of being acceptable behavior here.  Claiming an item was tested as Sterling is such a crock, and IMO those items should always be avoided.

BUT.......... this is clearly not eBay's problem.

If you don't see the stamps, don't buy the item.

I also agree that sellers should pay the return shipping in cases such as yours, but no one can force that................ and yes, returns are problematic due to the high cost of shipping with tracking.

Message 4 of 10
latest reply

Fake 925

This a problem everywhere.

Check out the vendors who travel the festival circuit.

Many advertise the product on their signage as 925. While a small percentage of product may be in fact 925 the majority is not.

Buyer beware.

Message 5 of 10
latest reply

Fake 925

Do you realize that the purpose of this board is to ask questions about paypal ?

ummm Isn't this the buyer's central board?

Message 6 of 10
latest reply

Fake 925

Yes, and when disputing in Paypal for fake 925, if you can PROVE the items are falsely advertised, they will likely just credit you without your having to pay 5 times the amount you paid to ship the item(s) back.

Message 7 of 10
latest reply

Fake 925

There are virtually no real 925 sterling silver items for fashion jewelry on eBay.  And they (eBay and Paypal are the same company people) recognize this is their biggest problem.  I have made recommendations to them and one they have implemented already and they are deciding on a new policy regarding selling plated alloys as 925.  They may not need to reach the 30% negative comments - it may be 5 proven cases of fraud and they are banned from eBay.  This is FRAUD.  

Apologies for the upper case and eBay has already posted my suggestion in the other discussion boards.  This is for people who have made purchases for 925, have received plated, and think they have no way out but to keep the garbage and lose their money.  No one should be a victim to fraud - inclusive of buying on eBay .

Message 8 of 10
latest reply

Fake 925

Paypal and eBay = same company!!  And yes, disputing fraud is a paypal issue.

Message 9 of 10
latest reply

Fake 925

There are virtually no real 925 sterling silver items for fashion jewelry on eBay.

I have to disagree. There are definitely listings that are not what they advertise to be but there are also many sellers who do sell genuine .925 sterling silver jewelry in the fashion jewelry section.

I'm curious which recommendation of yours has been implemented by ebay.

Message 10 of 10
latest reply