How does that work???

comics-rock
Community Member
Hey, been gone a while and stuck to my guns about not selling on ebay. Checked in today to get rid of some final stock, that I simply can't shift anywhere else to find an invite back into the world of Powersellers. What gives? I've sold NOTHING over the past four months, so how could I possibly be considered a powerseller? Obviously I've not been on the boards for four months so could someone try enlighten me?

Cheers, Paul.
Message 1 of 11
latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

How does that work???

for_baby_and_you
Community Member
well.... we have a mystery here... I have no idea how did you get here 🙂 you must be very special.... or eBay is running out of power sellers and is inviting everybody now 😄

Kasha

Message 2 of 11
latest reply

How does that work???

comics-rock
Community Member
think that might be it kasha!!! they're trying to get people back....
Message 3 of 11
latest reply

How does that work???

jakeeangel
Community Member
I believe it's because the calculate your sales over a 12 month period. So look at your totals for the 12 months prior to today.
Message 4 of 11
latest reply

How does that work???

comics-rock
Community Member
ah, so yeah...i had some decent sales summer last year
Message 5 of 11
latest reply

How does that work???

lina-mallows
Community Member
If you exceeded the ebay criteria- you may well be here for a LONG time.

"Meet the following average minimum sales requirements:
Three Month Requirement: a minimum of $1,000 in sales or 100 items per month, for three consecutive months
Annual Requirement: a minimum of $12,000 or 1,200 items for the prior twelve months"
Message 6 of 11
latest reply

How does that work???

tea_past_times
Community Member
I've been thinking about why Ebay might be holding on to Power Sellers even when they really aren't power sellers any more. There are quite a few example in here of people who haven't sold in months and still have access to the Powerseller chat.

I could easily be wrong, but I believe it has to do with Canada Revenue Agency and large volume power sellers.

Ebay does not want to release power seller information to the government, because they know that if they do, it will mean audits of the larger volume sellers, which in turn could lead in time to a loss of sale for Ebay if people haven't been filing properly.

In order to cover those people a bit, Ebay is making anybody and everybody into a powerseller, any way that they can. When they have to hand over the information, they can drop several hundred thousand more files into CRA's lap, and let them sort it out.

How will CRA know between a powerseller who hasn't sold anything since last fall and the guy who is a gold powerseller. Well, sales figures, yes, but it means they will have to sift through everybody to decide who to audit.

Ebay's inclusion of anybody and everybody, and their failure to remove those sellers who have left from the list, will make extra work for CRA and in many cases lead to nothing. They may end up auditing people who have long since stopped selling on Ebay.

They will get data from businesses long ago closed, people who have gone bankrupt, and maybe even a few dead power sellers. As well as people who have only sold a few big ticket items on Ebay, but aren't full time Ebayers.

Ebay should have asked for the information by sales totals, not powerseller status.

In short, we are all still on this page, because Ebay wants to confuse the government into believing that Power seller status is irrelevant, which it actually is in many cases.

Be careful what you ask for Tax guys, you just might get it.

Just my own hairbrained, cornball theory.
Message 7 of 11
latest reply

How does that work???

lina-mallows
Community Member
tea_past_times- "They may end up auditing people who have long since stopped selling on Ebay."

SO WHAT ?????

CANADA REVENUE AGENCY is concerned over taxes- when these taxes may have become due is of concern. The fact that they may be auditing people who are no longer on eBay is of no consequence.

Whether or not a seller was, is, or will be a FULL TIME eBayer is of no relevance. Neither is dollar volume. There are some people on this board that do THOUSANDS of dollars a day- and others who don't do a THOUSAND DOLLARS in month.

Good luck to the government auditors- it's their problem, not ours.
I say give them ALL the records- and let them decide.

BEING- or NOT being a POWER SELLER has nothing to do with TAX EVASION, or TAX AVOIDANCE !!!

eBay should not be wasting anytime with an appeal. eBay is a pubic forum- and these auctions took place in that PUBLIC FORUM.
WHAT IS THERE TO HIDE ?????
Message 8 of 11
latest reply

How does that work???

ameroindustries
Community Member
Canada Revenue agency has inside traders trading and profiting (personally) off of tax payers money . Wonder what happens when they lose the money guess it did not exzist what a scam .
Message 9 of 11
latest reply

How does that work???

comics-rock
Community Member
Annual Requirement: a minimum of $12,000 or 1,200 items for the prior twelve months"

ive just looked back and i didn't make either of these requirements. wonder if it's to try and get people to start selling again.
Message 10 of 11
latest reply

How does that work???

Paul, maybe ebay just likes you....LOL
Message 11 of 11
latest reply