I am trying to find info on how to start selling on eBay

Where do I look to begin?

Message 1 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

1) Start by buying on eBay - at least 10 items, including 5 from outside Canada - to get a feel for it and build your feedback rating in the process.

2) When ready to start selling, go small at first, check what your competitors are doing as far as pricing and shipping are concerned and keep in mind: Sell what you know - know what you sell

Message 2 of 9
latest reply

Here is the eBay Seller Information Center.

http://pages.ebay.ca/sellerinformation/index.html

Read for some background. Read again. Buy a couple of low priced items (avoid USA GSP sellers as shipping is too high). Read the above again.

Read these eBay.ca forums daily to see issues and solutions from both the buyers and sellers. This will help you gain "experience" without having the issue yourself. Remember you will see a lot of problems here because that is what the forums are for. But most buying and selling is free of issues.

Message 3 of 9
latest reply

likely you need to setup  your Pay-Pal account to even start, word of caution if you have an item for sale remember it could get lost from many reasons so simply do not list what you can not afford to possibly loose.

OVERALL most sales end up OK, good luck this is a great forum with many experts.

Message 4 of 9
latest reply

Seller Central is a good place to get advice especially from other posts by newbies and the opinions from more experienced posters.

But remember that sellers come here when they have problems, not when things go smoothly. And it is not unusual that the complaining seller was actually at fault with the ballsup transaction.

Most transactions go smoothly. If one in one hundred is a problem, that is a very high percentage. Even one in a thousand is high.

Except. Mind the demographic of your potential customers. Some customers will be more entitled, illiterate, lazy or dishonest than others.

Message 5 of 9
latest reply

@femmefan1946 wrote:

Seller Central is a good place to get advice especially from other posts by newbies and the opinions from more experienced posters.

But remember that sellers come here when they have problems, not when things go smoothly. And it is not unusual that the complaining seller was actually at fault with the ballsup transaction.

Most transactions go smoothly. If one in one hundred is a problem, that is a very high percentage. Even one in a thousand is high.

Except. Mind the demographic of your potential customers. Some customers will be more entitled, illiterate, lazy or dishonest than others.

One in a thousand is hardly high since we do not all use tracking, remember the famous cookie jar insurance we all talk about, one in a thousand is hardly a high figure, but may be wrong.

Message 6 of 9
latest reply

I would not want to be a new seller starting out now.  Not trying to be a drag, its just the truth.  Very tough to gain any traction what so ever as a newbie, even when selling on new accounts linked to a seasoned account.

Message 7 of 9
latest reply

I agree with you will not be easy for small sellers, it is pretty obvious for years that small sellers will be obsolete   that is the EBay plans......self destruction just look at EBay stock  compared to a few other venues.

Message 8 of 9
latest reply

Thanks everyone trying to help.  Will definitely start slow and see how far I can progress.

Henry

Message 9 of 9
latest reply