Info for the looming Canada Post Strike

So looking more and more that Canada Post will be going on strike, I did call E Bay and asked what would happen if parcels that were sent to Canada that wouldn't arrive until after the strike started, and the rep told me that they would refund the buyer back if the parcel didn't come by the scheduled time. Will be interesting to see how this will all play out with parcels coming from China, or anywhere overseas for that matter. So many questions will arise from this I'm sure. Will anyone in Canada change there selling tactics before July?, or just do the wait and see approach and deal with it on July 5th? 

Message 1 of 128
latest reply
127 REPLIES 127

technoligical adavancement has changed the business as it has for staff in all kinds of industries (and former industries)

car companies say fully autonomous cars by around 2020, labour involved in transportation and delivery is on its way to obsolecence

Message 121 of 128
latest reply

@tobysh-tzu wrote:

technoligical adavancement has changed the business as it has for staff in all kinds of industries (and former industries)

car companies say fully autonomous cars by around 2020, labour involved in transportation and delivery is on its way to obsolecence

Ha! Great advances, with all the automation, soon there will be no one left earning wages to actually buy stuff.

And autonomous cars have hit a new milestone earlier this year with the first death of a human "driver".

Message 122 of 128
latest reply

One day at a time...

Deadline for picking Thursday has now passed. (www.cupw.ca)

Business as usual for Monday July 4 / Tuesday July 5 / Wednesday July 6 / Thursday July 7.

-..-

Message 123 of 128
latest reply

Business as usual for Monday July 4 / Tuesday July 5 / Wednesday July 6 / Thursday July 7.

And I interrupted a really good run of sales out of caution.

I've been On Vacation since last Wednesday.

Carp.jpg

Message 124 of 128
latest reply

Oh well femmefan, at least you have something to eat. 

Message 125 of 128
latest reply

@ypdc_dennis wrote:

Ha! Great advances, with all the automation, soon there will be no one left earning wages to actually buy stuff.

What about the people who design, program and build and maintain the automation? The idea is not to give people more money for slug work but rather to create high skill, high paying jobs.

People used to say that computers would greatly reduce the use of paper.....it had the exact opposite effect! Automation eliminates lower paying, low productivity jobs.

I understand that the current workforce especially at the older end of the spectrum may not be able to move to these new employment opportunities but at CUPW at least those older workers pension plans and job security are already vested.

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 126 of 128
latest reply

@recped wrote:

@ypdc_dennis wrote:

What about the people who design, program and build and maintain the automation? The idea is not to give people more money for slug work but rather to create high skill, high paying jobs.

People used to say that computers would greatly reduce the use of paper.....it had the exact opposite effect! Automation eliminates lower paying, low productivity jobs.

Tech, more often than not, results in high skill, low paying jobs for those folk not living in Canada.

I've worked with computers for over 40 years, the result is trending to far less paper.  In the early days computers made it easy to produce stuff, but the cheapest storage device was paper, so the amount of paper used went way up. But, for the last 10 years that is no longer true. Ask any bookseller, for that matter, ask the post office -- the use of paper is falling.

-..-

Message 127 of 128
latest reply

And I interrupted a really good run of sales out of caution.

I've been On Vacation since last Wednesday.

To summarize that situation, this is the fish you're looking for:

IMG_4549.JPG

I received my invoice for June's ebay fees overnight and since my store subscriptions renews itself at the start of that month, it's extra-high. (See fish illustration above.) 

Message 128 of 128
latest reply