International Selling OR International Rip Off

degree9
Community Member

Well, Canada Post is a true business first place.  They sell you international shipping labels on Ground or Surface but they don't have a tracking number that works for them.  Yes, when you print the label it comes out with a tracking number but it doesn't work!

eBay has ripped me off for over $1200.00 on orders that I shipped to Russia.  Don't ship there!!  The customer see's that it will take and "estimated"  4-6 weeks delivery time but they can put in a Resolution in only 7 days (eBay's policy) if they want to.  I had a Russian complain in just over a week and before the 4-6 week time has even elapsed, eBay "stole" my money and gave it back to him even after I sent in all the correct paper work showing I had printed the shipping label and posted it.

Russia put and Embargo on all mail in April because they have a 5 Ton backlog of mail and can't handle any new stuff coming into their country.  This was also sent along to eBay to show that mail delivery is Extremely slow and a lot of mail is just sitting in the post office's warehouse's both in this country and Russia. 

When I spoke to the eBay Rep she told me they new nothing about an Embargo yet she said the did an investigation into the claim and it was no mentioned in it??????

So, it's my opinion  that eBay has a great way to rip off the merchant and make like they are serving the customer   Well, I guess they are because this guy (and a few more people) got his money back and sooner or later he will receive his package.  Not a bad deal if your a customer but sucks Royally if your a merchant.  

If I had a tracking number that showed where the parcel was I would have been a lot better off but shipping by ground or Surface, doesn't give you one and it's 5 times the cost to ship it by air.  It obvious that Canada Post is forcing you to pay the higher rate but that cuts WAY Back on customers because you have to sell it for a lot more if your going to make a profit.

So... Don't Ship to Russia and eBay will steel your money!!!!!!!

Message 1 of 3
latest reply
2 REPLIES 2

Canada Post International parcel... air or surface

has insurance and tracking

Insurance above $100 can be purchased...

I regularly use  the Canada Post site to determine  and confirm the cost of shipping internationally...

Link to

http://www.canadapost.ca/cpotools/apps/far/business/findARate?execution=e1s1

Paypal/eBay may not offer some Canada Post options....

The Canada Post site shows everything available....

Message 2 of 3
latest reply

toff3
Community Member

Degree,

First off, calm down.

1. I'm not sure what you mean by international shipping labels sold by Canada Post. Perhaps you mean eBay/PayPal shipping labels cum customs declaration. Many (perhaps most) have serial numbers that have nothing to do with Canada Post tracking numbers.

2. It's not just Russians who submit INR claims (not resolutions) 7 days after shipment was effected. You can find idiots or potential scammers in any country. These sometimes find their counterparts in eBay/PayPal. That said, a receipt showing you mailed the item cuts no ice. If, after a reasonable period of time has elapsed, the shipment has not been delivered or if your customer says it hasn't, you have no choice but to refund and hope that he will reimburse you when the parcel arrives.

3. Always inform your customer that Canada Post's estimate of 4 to 6 weeks transit time for a surface mailing is largely speculation and bears little relation to reality. Four to 6 weeks is perhaps average for Europe but not for Asia or Australia, where it could easily be 2 or 3 months.

4. What you're really after is not tracking but delivery confirmation. This is expensive and outside Canada and USA is guaranteed only with Xpresspost or Priority Worldwide. Cumos fails to mention that tracking/DC of International Parcels Surface or Air is available only if the receiving country provides it. I don't know if Russia does but you might be lucky. One good thing is that Russia is one country (I don't think there are many) to which you can send both International Air and Surface Parcels and the difference between base prices is only 55% (way less than the usual 100% or so).

Anyway, I wouldn't write Russia off just yet.

Tom 

Message 3 of 3
latest reply