Less than 5 star rating on shipping and handling????

When i sell item(s) i only charge what the post office charges. No handling fee or any other hidden fee's.

How is it a buyer is able to leave less than 5 stars on shipping and handling costs????????????

The shipping cost is clearly stated before they buy the item.

Message 1 of 16
latest reply
15 REPLIES 15

Anonymous
Not applicable

No matter what, we cannot satisfy them, period!

Message 2 of 16
latest reply

Same here, i charge the exact shipping cost only. I do not charge for box, tape, time, cardboard envelope, plastic bubble packing etc.
But once in a while i will get a less than 5 stars on shipping. Probably comes from a US buyer as it is a lot more expensive to ship there. They compare our cost as if they would have bought from another US seller. Some do not know or care that it is Canada Post price, not mine.
Message 3 of 16
latest reply

i charge the exact shipping cost only. I do not charge for box, tape, time, cardboard envelope, plastic bubble packing etc.

So you may as well add a handling/packaging charge and not lose money on those items.???

Better, if your items are shippable by LetterPost/LightPacket, use Free Shipping.

Don't Panic.

Free Shipping just means adding the costs of shipping to your asking price.

I use this a lot because my items are easily shipped with LP and I don't need to think about tracking/Confirmation of Delivery because my customer demographic is very honest.

YMMV.

Free shipping as such on dotCA only applies to Canadian buyers, but you can give Free Shipping to US customers by entering a Flat Rate of $0.00 for them.

Even I'm not crazy enough to offer free shipping to overseas customers, but I do reduce the S&H for them by the amount I added to my asking prices.

Message 4 of 16
latest reply

" i only charge what the post office charges. No handling fee or any other hidden fee's."

You sell McDonald's cards in lots of 8 or 10.

What is the actual postage you affix on each envelope?  Cdn$1.80 (up to 100g) or Cdn$2.95 (up to 200g)

This is the amount of postage a buyer sees.

Message 5 of 16
latest reply

@legionsgate wrote:

When i sell item(s) i only charge what the post office charges. No handling fee or any other hidden fee's.

How is it a buyer is able to leave less than 5 stars on shipping and handling costs????????????

The shipping cost is clearly stated before they buy the item.

When I look at listing 151907635397 or 151907633689, the rates are in US$ with flat rate shipping.

The options are

Canada US$3.50 Canad Post Lettermail

USA US$5.00 Canada Post Light Packet USA

Other counties US$7.50 Canada Post Light Packet International

The USA and Other countries rates look like the Canada Post rates for those services for a 200 gram Light Packet but in US $. If so, then you are making 30% more on the exchange rate.

I looked at other listings and you list in US$ so it is not possible to charge exact Canada Post rates because of the exchange rate fluctuating. Unless you are refunding the difference back to the buyer after the sale.

The above seems to contradict your statement that you charge the exact postage rate.

I do agree with you that the buyer is aware of the shipping costs and agrees with the price when purchasing and should not be able to rate the shipping cost. But DSR's have always been buyer opinion and their experience buying as to what a shipping cost is fair or not. If the buyer is in the USA, the shipping cost from Canada will always seen to be expensive compared to USA sellers shipping domestically.

Message 6 of 16
latest reply

Nope see there lies the problem.

Those listings are only 2 actually bad examples. I only have 2 listings with hockey cards and I always do refund the difference.

I do list in U.S. dollars but yet pay for shipping in canadian funds.

EBAY calculates that difference automatically. 

Example it will show U.S. shipping 7.95 but when i actually print the label and pay the shipping ebay takes around 11.50 Canadian dollar shipping from my account on paypal or however that works and whoever takes it.

So i am NOT making 30% extra and if that is the case the buyer should be seeing a higher postage rate on the box than what i charged them even if it is in canadian dollars.

Message 7 of 16
latest reply

Again this is what the post office charges NOT me.

I onky have 2 lots of hockey cards thats not what i am referring to.

whatever you can fit in envelope up to that weight that is the cost and so on. its like flat rate in this case only.

if an envelope can ship for 1.80 and fit 5 packs cards great. but if a buyer only buys 1 pack am i suppose to only charge .35cents but i still pay 1.80

your missing the point.

Message 8 of 16
latest reply

"your missing the point."

????

You sell hockey cards in lots of eight or ten. I checked two similar listings.

If a buyer purchases one (1) lot, eBay charges the buyer a flat rate of US$3.50 or Cdn$ 4.85 within Canada

If a buyer purchases three (3) lots, eBay charges the buyer a flat rate of US$10.50 (US$3.50 each) or Cdn$ 14.54 within Canada. 

When listing you did not provide a discount for multiple purchases.  Many sellers do.

What am I missing?

If it is important to you to only charge "actual shipping" and the actual shipping is known to you, why use a flat rate which is substantially more than the actual postage?

By the way, there is nothing wrong charging Cdn$ 4.85 shipping per lot.  That is quite reasonable for one lot, considering handling and packaging material. However, you will find a few buyers who will match the amount of postage on the envelope to the shipping amount that was charged. 

If they see $1.80 in postage and were charged $4.85, someone may very well post a "4" instead of a "5" for "shipping charge".

DSRs are a question of opinion - the buyer's opinion.

Message 9 of 16
latest reply

Buyers do not believe we even pay for postage and if we do, it is at a steep discount.

As soon as you charge an additional amount to the cost of the widget, you are opening your self to ratings and comments.

And? No. Just because the buyer saw and paid the amount, does not mean they agree with the "extra" amount you are charging.

It doesn't matter what the PO charges. If you are only passing along direct costs, are you only charging what you paid, for the cards? Of course not, you marked those up.

Going to "free" shipping increased my sales. Increased my profit. Buyers pay exactly the up front price they see, no add-on extras. Buyers hate add-on amounts.

Photobucket
Message 10 of 16
latest reply

The shipping cost dsr isn't going to count for anything come feb so don't worry about it.  Just tell canada post they can't be slow.

Message 11 of 16
latest reply

@legionsgate wrote:

Nope see there lies the problem.

Those listings are only 2 actually bad examples. I only have 2 listings with hockey cards and I always do refund the difference.

I do list in U.S. dollars but yet pay for shipping in Canadian funds.

EBAY calculates that difference automatically. 

Example it will show U.S. shipping 7.95 but when i actually print the label and pay the shipping ebay takes around 11.50 Canadian dollar shipping from my account on PayPal or however that works and whoever takes it.

So i am NOT making 30% extra and if that is the case the buyer should be seeing a higher postage rate on the box than what i charged them even if it is in Canadian dollars.

When I viewed your listings, the two hockey cards were the in the first 3 listings shown. So it appeared as overcharging. It looks bad when you start a topic with a strong statement with little details and a look at your listings shows the opposite right away. Which is why I asked if you were refunding to clear up what you meant.

DSR's are opinion as I said before and what others have also said. DSR's are annoying and the shipping time and shipping cost especially. When selling to Europe, DSR 4 is common and even 3 because of shipping costs for Canada Post are so high.

Message 12 of 16
latest reply

@toby**bleep**zu wrote:

The shipping cost dsr isn't going to count for anything come feb so don't worry about it.  Just tell canada post they can't be slow.

The Shipping Cost DSR hasn't counted for anything regarding seller performance for more than a year (Spring 2014 Seller Update).

The OP has a damaged ego because they have a 4.9 for Shipping Cost, only someone who took the time to hover over the stars would even know they had 4.9 and even for those that did I doubt it would make any difference to their purchasing decisions.

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 13 of 16
latest reply

LOL ok ok ok.

lots of good points and i see others opinions. i get it.

you can not read emotion into      lazy typing or grammar LOL yes my fault.

yup a bit of a damaged ego i suppose LOL

ok, so maybe i don't know how to list correctly but in my listings i do state best shipping cost.

when i list items it asks for weight and size and so forth...................so i put that in and ebay calculates the shipping automatically.

when i do pack and pay and see a discrepancy in shipping cost i refund to those buyers.

when i buy and a buyer has inflated shipping costs i choose to buy i live with it because i knew that going in.

i'm not asking if any of this is right or wrong but to hold a seller responsible for shipping costs when its not buyers who set is is a bit unfair. i know its changing and so be it.

i just wanted to ask the question and it spins out of control........................................lol

yes i should be a lot more clear in the future with a ????????????????

so now what?????????????? in FEB when it changes sellers ship same day as buyer pays but post office and customs hold up the item we are going to get dinged for that now. Again not in our control.

so be it i suppose.

Message 14 of 16
latest reply

so now what?????????????? in FEB when it changes sellers ship same day as buyer pays but post office and customs hold up the item we are going to get dinged for that now. Again not in our control.

Not quite......there will be no ding if ANY of the following apply:

Acceptance scan by the post office within your handling time.

Delivered within the delivery estimate.

Buyer answers YES to the question "did this order arrive on time".

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
Message 15 of 16
latest reply

To add to the above......

If you use a Generic shipping service such as "standard International" the delivery estimates that eBay shows are usually pretty reasonable, if you add a day or two to your handling time this will further extend the delivery estimate.

For a lot of International destination eBay doesn't even provide a specif delivery estimate, not clear how they will handle those other than asking the buyer if it arrived on time (which will be weird if there is no estimated delivery time).

Message 16 of 16
latest reply