Who pays the extra for a tracking number?

consignitbc_estore
Community Member

Hi,

Sold my item; stated Economy Shipping.

Buyer asked for a tracking number.

This cost me $8.00 more, which I did not take

into account. The last similar item was shipped

for $10.00, and that is what I was counting on for this one too.

How does this work?

Should I always having a  tracking number? Should I  add this to my shipping quotes right from the start.

What if they don't need want a tracking number and willing to pay the lesser amount? If I had to advertize shipping higher b/c of the tracking number, the appeal goes down.... it was nice to see my shipping lower than everyone else..Should I have told the buyer if he wants tracking, then he should pay for it?

I have sent it now, and paid for it b/c I didn't know what to do.

Thanx,

Andrea

Message 1 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

The tracking number is for YOUR security. If the buyer claims the item is lost, you can prove to Paypal that it was delivered.

(And btw, it is only Delivery Confirmation PP wants , not tracking.)

So, the seller is asking for a higher level of security on shipping. Tell him you will do it, and then tell him how much it will cost. HE asked for the increased service, so you are okay with eBay on this.

Usually the buyer shuts up at this point.

If you can supply a shipping invoice number, most buyers are happy with that, because it shows that the shipping label has been purchased.

If you have been shipping Letter rate, move up to Light Packet which can be printed through PP. It is slightly more expensive for no good reason, but it does give a (meaningless) number.

If you have been shipping Small Packet, give the shipping invoice number. It will not show Confirmation of Delivery, but it will be insured up to $100. Again this benefits you and not your buyer, but you can honestly tell him that the item is insured against loss or damage in transit. That should keep him happy.

Message 2 of 7
latest reply

leb17
Community Member

Hi..

In order for a seller to have PayPal Seller Protection they would need to provide to PP (PayPal) a DC (Delivery Confirmation number or a tracting number that shows online that the item was deliveried.

You are NOT allwed to ask the buyer in your listing to pay extra for a DC or tracking, you need to add that cost to your starting price.

Read this in section 11 in the link below:

https://cms.paypal.com/ca/cgi-bin/?cmd=_render-content&content_ID=ua/UserAgreement_full&locale.x=en_...

Message 3 of 7
latest reply

leb - In this case, the buyer is asking for the upgrade and I believe the seller is allowed to cover his costs on that request.

You are right that the seller is not allowed to increase her advertised shipping costs without the permission (and preferable on the request) of the buyer.

Message 4 of 7
latest reply

consignitbc_estore
Community Member

Ok, here is what I took from this:

If I want to be covered by PP Seller Protection, then I add tracking/DC to my cost right from the start. This may make my auction look more expensive, hence may not get bids, but will be covered!

Or, take a chance, do not add tracking/DC and have my auction look more appealing, but be willing to refund buyer, lose item, and be out the shipping cost.

If I have done the second option, and the buyer wants tracking, then I am allowed to ask him/her to cover the cost.  Is this correct?

What if buyer refuses to cover the cost? Will Ebay be on my side? Or can the buyer open a case, "Item not as described", and I will have to refund, and lose shipping cost.

Message 5 of 7
latest reply

leb17
Community Member

Hi reallynicestamps

The OP stated:  Buyer asked for a tracking number and it was not clear.

Q. Was the buyer asking for the tracking number so they could keep an eye on it to see when it will arrive?

OR

Q. Was they buyer asking for the upgrade?

Hi again consignitbc_estore

If I want to be covered by PP Seller Protection, then I add tracking/DC to my cost right from the start. This may make my auction look more expensive, hence may not get bids, but will be covered!

1. TRUE

take a chance, do not add tracking/DC and have my auction look more appealing, but be willing to refund buyer, lose item, and be out the shipping cost.

1. You will not only lose the item, you will also lose the cost of shipping and the original cost of the item. “IF” the buyer files a INR (Item Not Received) claim against you.

If I have done the second option, and the buyer wants tracking, then I am allowed to ask him/her to cover the cost.

1. Yes you can if the buyer wants the upgrade in shipping and the buyer pays for the extra cost.

What if buyer refuses to cover the cost?

1. Then you send the item as per TOS (Terms of Sale) stated in your listing.

Ebay be on my side?

1. EBay nor PP (PayPal) will not be on your side unless you follow the PP (PayPal) Seller Protection Policy to the letter.

can the buyer open a case, "Item not as described"

There are ONLY 2 claims that a buyer can do.

#1—INR (Item Not Received) claim

#2—SNAD (Significantly Not as Described) claim

1. #1—No DC (Delivery Confirmation or tracking number to provide to PP …you lose
  2. #2—A SNAD is when the listing says “Blue” shoes and you sent “Red” shoes or widget is working and the item was not working when it arrive.  
Message 6 of 7
latest reply

consignitbc_estore
Community Member

Since I have never dealt with Canada Post shipping procedures before, I just assumed that when you shipped something, it would have a tracking number. I did not know you had to pay more for that.

You mention to go ahead and ship per TOS, if buyer refuses to pay for the extra cost of tracking, and that he cannot open a claim unless he doesn't receive it, (or right item) which even without a tracking number should likely happen. So hopefully all the "problems" would end here...but..

Questions:

1) But if he is a "bad" person, he could pretend to not have received the item and open a case knowing I can't supply a tracking/DC number? Correct?

2)Or whether he is a "bad" person OR NOT, could have just assumed a tracking number was part of the shipping process, and be upset that the seller didn't supply it, and even though received item, may feel it important to let other buyers know, thereby leaving negative or neutral feedback? And the motive if he is a "bad" person, would be just for "revenge. Correct?

Thanks so much for helping me figure this all out:)

Message 7 of 7
latest reply