How long to I have to file an item not received, through ebay?

For some reason a payment I made to a seller is not showing up on Paypal. So I'm wondering how long do I have to file an item not received, through ebay? I bought the item on May 27 and it still hasn't showed. I tried filing today but ebay says I have to wait until July 21st.

Isn't that past their window?

Message 1 of 13
latest reply
12 REPLIES 12

30 days after the last estimated date of delivery.
Message 2 of 13
latest reply

OK, Thanks. Two oddities here...

1) I'm way past 30 days and I can click the option for item not received. 

2) If it is indeed 30 days, why does ebay say I have to wait over 50 days to file?

Message 3 of 13
latest reply

BTW, I just realized the reason my payment isn't on Paypal is because I paid via my credit card through ebay's checkout. 

Message 4 of 13
latest reply

Have you contacted the seller?

Ask for the date of shipping, the service used and the tracking number.

Do NOT accept an offer of a replacement.

Is the item coming from Asia?

There are several posts about slow shipping from China in particular.

The problem does not seem to be the sellers as such, although Chinese sellers have always used cheap but sloooooooow Surface shipping, but the fentanyl crisis and the ongoing arguement about parcel delivery within the members of the Universal Postal Union.

You have 30 days after the last estimated date for delivery.

If your seller ignores you, or if he cannot give you a tracking number that shows the shipment is in Canada, you can make a claim through Paypal for 180 days after payment.

Message 5 of 13
latest reply

We cross-posted.

While paying from a credit card may seem reasonable, it means you don't have PPs very strong Buyer Protection.

If you are ignored by the seller or if the tracking number doesn't work, you can phone the 1-800 number on the back of your credit card.

BTW, are you looking at the listing or at the invoice eBay sent you?

The former will change the estimated date of arrival, every time you look at it.

The latter is a firm date.

And if the seller told eBay he would be using Surface shipping, yes, two months is not unusual.

Message 6 of 13
latest reply

Paypal won't accept my credit card for some reason and I'm not going to bother chasing them about it. (Tried contacting them via email but I just get an auto reply back) At the time  I thought paying through ebay would still be processed by Paypal, but obviously I was wrong.

The items are indeed from China. It usually takes 3 to 4 weeks for me to get stuff from there. 

Message 7 of 13
latest reply

"You have 30 days after the last estimated date for delivery."

So if I can't file through ebay then their buyer protection is BS.

Message 8 of 13
latest reply

No.

Their Protections cover both buyer and seller.

In this case, the seller is being protected against buyers who, having accepted the long shipping period, which is stated on the listing, get impatient before the item could possibly be delivered.

You chose the low price of an Asian seller over the fast delivery of a North American one.

Take responsibility for your choices.

Now, as stated, there is a problem that is out of the seller's hands, which is the holdup in Canada because of problems with imports from China, in particular, over drugs and underpayment of UPU fees.

But you still have protection through Paypal, if you had used it, and your credit card.

Message 9 of 13
latest reply

Now that I know free shipping from China means no ebay buyer protection, I will stick with North American transactions only. 

Message 10 of 13
latest reply

"Take responsibility for your choices."

No need to get snotty. Anyone who buys from China buys because of the FREE shipping. Right? Right!!

Message 11 of 13
latest reply

@xenotime wrote:

For some reason a payment I made to a seller is not showing up on Paypal. So I'm wondering how long do I have to file an item not received, through ebay? I bought the item on May 27 and it still hasn't showed. I tried filing today but ebay says I have to wait until July 21st.

Isn't that past their window?

No. It is 30 days from last estimated date of delivery.

Based on your details: July 21 to August 20 to open an Item-Not-Received (INR) case.

-..-

Message 12 of 13
latest reply

No.

They buy because they consider the low price worth putting up with slow shipping.

You can have it fast . You can have it good. You can have it cheap.

But you can only pick two.

If you want it fast, look for a seller who offers multiple shipping services including faster more expensive ones.

Otherwise, as I said before, your choices are your responsibility.

Message 13 of 13
latest reply