How can I loose an auction within the last 4 seconds of the bidding time?

in*trans
Community Member

Items of collectible items that are more rare are taken from my bidding in the last 4 seconds of the auction.  The bidders alway have a high number behind their "star" or are "private bidders".  It has happened enough that I'm feel defeated from the beginning of the bidding and have given up on even bidding agains these bidders.  My personal opinion is that they buy the item to resell and not to add to their collection just based on their bidding profile.

I can be ahead of the automatic bids by $30-50 and still loose by a dollar at the end of bidding  Is there any thing I can do?

In*trans

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

\Bid your maximum.

Bid only once.

Bid late in the auction, but don't try for the last bid.

Some of the "snipe" bidders will be using sniping services like esnipe, which will bid for them at the very last second. You are allowed to do this.

But if you think and item is worth $25.87 and someone buys it for $25.88, he overpaid.

BTW- a bugaboo of mine. It's "lose' when you don't win. It's "loose" when your pants are comfy.

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

Nothing you can do but bid a higher price.

It is not illegal to buy something on ebay and resell it.

I do it and many others do it.

Message 2 of 6
latest reply

\Bid your maximum.

Bid only once.

Bid late in the auction, but don't try for the last bid.

Some of the "snipe" bidders will be using sniping services like esnipe, which will bid for them at the very last second. You are allowed to do this.

But if you think and item is worth $25.87 and someone buys it for $25.88, he overpaid.

BTW- a bugaboo of mine. It's "lose' when you don't win. It's "loose" when your pants are comfy.

Message 3 of 6
latest reply

If something is collectible, it is obvious that you and the other bidders are very interested in the item. It shouldn't come as a surprise that there is competition especially if the item is rare. Be more willing to pay a higher price for these highly desired collectibles.

Just think, if you saw a rare item in an antique store and someone else was there interested in the same item, would you offer a low price for the item or would you go high in hopes the other person wouldn't be willing to pay that amount? On the auction of a rare collectible, go high (the most you are willing to pay for the item) rather than the next minimum bid amount and don't bid in even numbers. Always add a few extra cents to your dollar amount. You might end up winning a little more often.

**********************************************************************************

Non payers should get unpaid item strikes and be added to block bidders lists. Period.
Message 4 of 6
latest reply

You must be a teacher. I did struggle over the word. I found this answer straight to the point with no judgement attached. Thank you very much.
Message 5 of 6
latest reply

My personal opinion is that they buy the item to resell and not to add to their collection just based on their bidding profile.

A collector can always outbid a reseller, because the seller needs room to make a profit on the resale.

If an item sells at retail for $100 the dealer cannot pay more than perhaps $50 to make his markup. Depending on how fast he can resell his margin may be as little as 5% or as much as 500%. I understand for example that jewellers normally mark up thier goods by 400%, that is an item they sell for $100 was purchased at wholesale for $25.

Bid your maximum. If someone else wins it, maybe he just paid too much.

Message 6 of 6
latest reply