Climate change a low priority

gauge33
Community Member

Will Trudeau listen.

As the Liberal government goes to negotiate a new climate agreement in Paris, polling shows that climate change is a low priority for most Canadians. When presented with a long list of policy issues, only 13 per cent of Canadians chose climate change as one of their top three worries, according to an Ipsos poll provided exclusively to Global News. Forty per cent of Canadians chose health care, and 39 per cent chose unemployment. Climate change even ranked below crime and education.

However, people in many other countries place climate change even lower than Canadians do.

http://globalnews.ca/news/2366032/climate-change-a-low-priority-for-most-canadians-poll/

Everyday survival having food, shelter and a job more important than earths natural evolvement which cannot be significantly altered by man. Pouring billions into something that cannot be slowed is wrong. Spend the 2.6 billion Trudeau just promised to the World Climate Fund finding ways to survive with the changing climate. 

Message 1 of 26
latest reply
25 REPLIES 25

"polling shows that climate change is a low priority for most Canadians. "

That is absolute nonsense.  Exactly the thinking behind the Harper government who sat on their behind and did little in nearly ten years about "climate change".

Priorities in government are not a popularity contest.  Sometime a leader must do what has to be done, not what is popular.

The world we leave our grandchildren should be everyone's first priority.

Message 2 of 26
latest reply

Funny how you put credibility when its a pro Liberal Ipsos poll and not in this one.

Spoiler
Spoiler
Smiley Surprised
Message 3 of 26
latest reply

"Funny "

Funny?  There is nothing funny about climate change.  It is the future of our world as we know it.

Even "conservatives" and "right wing republicans" have to stop denying it.  Time to face reality.

Message 4 of 26
latest reply

No I meant you are funny when it comes to this Ipsos poll.

I agree climate change is not funny, it is a natural phenomenon.

For example the solar radiation cycle we are in is a 11 year cycle.  

Message 5 of 26
latest reply

We have a Treaty – but at what cost? Limiting emissions is futile, deal with the consequences of global warming which is a natural phenomenon in the evolution of planet earth.

After two weeks, huge amounts of political rhetoric, and much activity behind closed doors, we have a treaty. While there will be celebrations among activists, the Paris Treaty will do very little to rein in temperature reductions.

The Paris Treaty promises to keep temperature rises below 2°C. However, the actual promises made here will do almost nothing to achieve that. It is widely accepted that to keep temperature rises below 2°C, we have to reduce CO₂ emissions by 6,000Gt.

The UNFCCC estimates that if every country makes every single promised Paris Treaty carbon cut between 2016 and 2030 to the fullest extent possible and there is no carbon leakage, CO₂ emissions will be cut by 56 Gt by 2030.

The math is simple: in an implausibly optimistic best-case scenario, Paris leaves 99% of the problem in place.

To say that Paris will get us to 2°C is cynical posturing at best. It relies on wishful thinking.

It’s like going on a diet to slim down, but declaring victory after the first salad.

Paris will be extraordinarily costly. It is likely this is the most expensive treaty in the history of the world.

Using the best individual and collectively peer-reviewed economic models, the total cost of Paris – through slower GDP growth from higher energy costs – will reach $1-2 trillion every year from 2030.

We owe the world much more – both in terms of tackling climate change better, and in spending resources smarter.

The best thing to come out of Paris was the announcement of the Bill Gates-led green energy innovation fund together with private individuals, and governments including Australia, U.S.A, Brazil, Canada, Chile, China, Denmark, Germany, France, Saudi Arabia, Sweden, South Korea, and U.A.E. This is an excellent initiative. I have argued for greater spending on R&D for a decade. Even more funding is needed, the Gates-led fund is what is really going to make a difference to the climate.

Until there is a breakthrough that makes green energy competitive on its own merits, massive carbon cuts are extremely unlikely to happen.

Claims that carbon cuts will be free or even generate economic growth don’t stack up given today’s technology. Every economic model shows real costs. If not, we wouldn’t need the Paris treaty: every nation would stampede to voluntarily cut CO₂ and get rich.

The agreement to spend $100bn on climate aid is a poor way to help the developing world. Their citizens clearly say, this is their lowest policy priority and climate aid provided by handing out solar panels has meager benefits compared with the many better, cheaper ways to help, like investing in immunization, girls’ education, and family planning. While billions lack food, health, water and education, distributing solar panels is simply immoral.

The Gates innovation push is great news and the only way we can start tackling the 99% of the climate problem not addressed by Paris.

After Paris, I will be advocating for an even greater investment in green energy research and development. Funding in the region of $100 billion annually is what is needed.

Bjorn Lomborg - LinkedIn Pulse

Message 6 of 26
latest reply

"The best thing to come out of Paris was the announcement of the Bill Gates-led green energy innovation fund together with private individuals, and governments including Australia, U.S.A, Brazil, Canada, Chile, China, Denmark, Germany, France, Saudi Arabia, Sweden, South Korea, and U.A.E. This is an excellent initiative. "

Message 7 of 26
latest reply

"...but at what cost? "

Again this is a choice our political leaders must make for all of us and future generations.

In Ontario, we have already stopped using cheap coal to generate electricity.  It does cost a lot more at this time to use solar or wind energy.  That is the price we pay to preserve our planet for our children and grandchildren while new technology is being developed to lower costs for renewable resources.  As you know, costs for solar and wind - while still much higher than coal -  are already coming down.

Alberta has announced it will also close all its coal generating power plants within fifteen years.  Alberta!

Yes that is the way to the future, whether conservatives like it or not.

And if it does cost a few cents more... so be it.

Message 8 of 26
latest reply

A climate deal signed without penalties and that's a good thing. For I could see Trudeau wrecking our economy making promises that cannot be kept, he's becoming known for that. Heck Wynne has already done so in Ontario with her Green Energy Act and has more to come unannounced. Her carbon tax kicks in in 2017. Oh well with gas prices so low no one will notice when filling up. 

Message 9 of 26
latest reply

What's it cost? I wonder why some people ask that. They're too near the end for it to matter to them one way or another. 

Photobucket
Message 10 of 26
latest reply

10322725_854390491255847_7202029865437856139_n.jpg

32020114.jpg

Photobucket
Message 11 of 26
latest reply

Did it take all 383 Canadians flying business class to Paris to  tell the Canadian story on climate change.

How many of these 383 people    went on a vacation at the taxpayers expense ?

Message 12 of 26
latest reply

Go find the answers. You have a phone and a computer. 

Photobucket
Message 13 of 26
latest reply

It's the Liberal sense of entitlement Nu, can't be explained any other way.

Message 14 of 26
latest reply

@prior-of-verity*shake-hands-with-your-devil wrote:

Go find the answers. You have a phone and a computer. 

So far I have found that 371 of them went for the taxpayer paid vacation.   

The others may have had something to add to the conference.

Message 15 of 26
latest reply

''So far I have found that 371 of them went for the taxpayer paid vacation.''

Prove it.

Photobucket
Message 16 of 26
latest reply

It's the Liberal sense of entitlement Nu, can't be explained any other way.

I agree that they didn't need nearly that many people there. I heard it cost the taxpayer 1/2 a million.

Unless each day can be looked back upon by an individual
as one in which he has had some fun, some joy, some
real satisfaction, that day is a loss.
Message 17 of 26
latest reply

Miners at the UK's last remaining deep coal mine will work their final shifts today, ending underground production in this country.

The closure of Kellingley Colliery in North Yorkshire will mark the end of an era, writing the final chapter of deep coal mining history.

The 450 miners who work at the pit - known locally as the Big K - will receive severance packages at 12 weeks of average pay.

Chris Kitchen, general secretary of the National Union of Mineworkers (NUM), told the Press Association it was a "sad day" for the country as well as the industry.

"I am sure people will argue not burning coal is better for the environment, but as far as I am concerned this is another vindictive act".

Owners UK Coal will oversee the rundown of the pit before the site is redeveloped.

Miners from the pit will join a march in nearby Knottingley on Saturday to mark the closure.

UK Coal said it wanted to place on record its thanks to the Government, the major stakeholders, customers and suppliers for their support during the planned closure programme.

Shaun McLoughlin, the mine manager, said: "I would like to thank my colleagues for all their hard work and determination at this difficult time. Like them, I thought that I would see out my career here but it is not to be.

"This is a very sad day for everyone connected with the mine but I am proud that we have done the job safely and professionally".

The Board of UK Coal said: "This is a historic moment, but also one which will have a real impact on those who work at Kellingley, their families and the wider community.

"We, like the whole of the UK, owe a debt of immense gratitude to those who have done so much to help power this country over many decades".

Workers on the final shift are scheduled to return to the surface at around 12:45pm.

Kellingley began production in 1965, and its closure will complete a two-year closure plan for the UK's deep mines.

This has been implemented by UK Coal with financial support from the Government.

The company said the closures follow a long period of difficult trading conditions, largely due to low international coal prices.

After the end of the Second World War there were almost 1,000 collieries employing up to a million miners, making the industry a powerhouse and major employer in communities across Britain.

Coal from Kellingley will be exhibited at the National Coal Mining Museum in Wakefield.

Acting director Andy Smith said: "It is with great honour and sadness that we mark the end of not just an industry, but a loss of national heritage for the country. As a Yorkshire ex-miner I feel an immense sense of pride and responsibility for ensuring this heritage is not lost.

"We will continue to educate and inspire future generations about the history of coal mining and will display the last tonne of coal as a lasting reminder of deep-coal mining in Britain".

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/12057402/Britains-last-deep-coal-mine-prepares-to-close.html

Message 18 of 26
latest reply

India's coal use will eventually top that of China. Combined they represent more than two thirds of the worlds population. So much for more climate talks such as Hopenhagen and Paris.

China Coal Use Tops Climate Concerns

Despite gains in developing renewable energy sources, China will remain the world's biggest producer and consumer of coal for the next 25 years, international experts say.

Renewables like solar, wind and nuclear energy will provide nearly a third of China's power by 2040, the Paris- based International Energy Agency (IEA) said in an annual report.

But although China's coal consumption may be nearing a plateau, it will stay at high levels over a prolonged period, leaving it as the world's largest single source of energy-related greenhouse gas (GHG), according to IEA data released earlier this month.

The influence of China's emissions on global warming will peak and start to fade gradually over the forecast period as it reduces coal use and pursues its transition to a service- led economy with slower growth rates.

The IEA's 700-page World Energy Outlook report has shifted its focus away from China and onto India for the first time, noting the impact of factors like industrial development and the needs of an estimated 240 million people who still lack access to electricity.

The numbers are a measure of the challenges that government leaders face as they gather at the United Nations climate change summit in Paris next week to reach an agreement on limiting global warming effects.

India will take over from China as the largest source of growth in world coal use, nearly doubling its consumption from 2020 to 2040, the report said.

That will make it a major source of carbon dioxide (CO2), surpassing the United States by 2035, according to the forecast.

In 2013, coal accounted for 29 percent of world energy but 46 percent of carbon dioxide (CO2) emissions, the agency said in an earlier report.

As in China previously, developing India has argued that its emissions are proportionally far less than those of industrialized nations. On a per capita basis, India emits about one-tenth as much as the United States, the report said.

But coal use is expected to climb as India narrows the gap.

"All the numbers are indicating that India will be the number one country in terms of coal consumption worldwide," the Washington Post quoted IEA executive director Fatih Birol as saying.

But the forecast data in the back of the IEA's book suggests that displacing China as the top coal consumer and CO2 emitter will take a long time.

In 2040, China will still be burning twice as much coal as India and seven times more than the United States, according to the projections.

http://www.rfa.org/english/commentaries/energy_watch/china-coal-use-tops-climate-concerns-1123201510...

Message 19 of 26
latest reply

Since nuclear power is the only way to  produce clean power in the quantities required  they will be able to use many of these laid-off miners in uranium mines to supply reactor fuel.

Message 20 of 26
latest reply