January 5 2022 Weekly Session

tyler@ebay
Community Member

Happy New Year and welcome to the first weekly chat of 2022!

Please leave your question as a reply and I will begin working on replies tomorrow afternoon.

Tyler

Tyler,
eBay
Message 1 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

G'morning Tyler and Happy New Year,

All the best to you and yours. Few easy questions to start off the year. Not sure if anyone has run across these issues before but throwing them out there.

1. Does eBay block messages with foreign language text included? I had to recently confirm with a customer on the country format for the mailing address with text. When I sent message with a cc to myself, the text forwarded was returned in computer gibberish. English may be fine for NA or EU but is NOT acceptable in other international countries. Also formats can vary country to country. 

2. In the past few weeks I've had 2 messages returned(bounced back) to me for sellers saying eBay couldn't send message" with the garbled seller email address. The original message was not included with the return or what the specific problem was so difficult to know what the content was that may have been "in question".  Most likely it was either a general question to a seller or help with a problem they were dealing with. In many cases it is easier to help directly vs publicly.

3. Not sure if this was answered before. Is there a specific wait time for new  buyers to expect payments to clear. My understanding of the situation is the release is dependent on either feedback from buyer...which there is limited guarantee a buyer will leave any(especially if it is a first time buyer) or tracked delivery confirmation. Many sellers routinely use untracked services when selling low value items. Buyers will rarely be interested in tracked because of high costs. From a sellers perspective when they sell something they need to know when they can expect their funds and that they will arrive in a timely manner so not feeling like they are being held hostage to get their duely owed monies. 

Thanks,

-Lotz

Message 2 of 6
latest reply

Hello Tyler,

When "mandatory" IS are required Feb 22, 2022, will sellers with items missing any of these suddenly have their listings pulled?  Will their be an email be sent to affected sellers advising them which items were involved or will those listings suddenly poof with no record and no way for a seller to repair them after the fact? I am still continuing to see the same listings either requiring new IS or recommended on a rotating recurring basis. Majority are either not applicable or not available. After the first 6 or 14 times they start to stick to the back of your mind.  🙄

-Lotzofuniquegoodies

Message 3 of 6
latest reply

@lotzofuniquegoodies wrote:

G'morning Tyler and Happy New Year,

All the best to you and yours. Few easy questions to start off the year. Not sure if anyone has run across these issues before but throwing them out there.

1. Does eBay block messages with foreign language text included? I had to recently confirm with a customer on the country format for the mailing address with text. When I sent message with a cc to myself, the text forwarded was returned in computer gibberish. English may be fine for NA or EU but is NOT acceptable in other international countries. Also formats can vary country to country. 

2. In the past few weeks I've had 2 messages returned(bounced back) to me for sellers saying eBay couldn't send message" with the garbled seller email address. The original message was not included with the return or what the specific problem was so difficult to know what the content was that may have been "in question".  Most likely it was either a general question to a seller or help with a problem they were dealing with. In many cases it is easier to help directly vs publicly.

3. Not sure if this was answered before. Is there a specific wait time for new  buyers to expect payments to clear. My understanding of the situation is the release is dependent on either feedback from buyer...which there is limited guarantee a buyer will leave any(especially if it is a first time buyer) or tracked delivery confirmation. Many sellers routinely use untracked services when selling low value items. Buyers will rarely be interested in tracked because of high costs. From a sellers perspective when they sell something they need to know when they can expect their funds and that they will arrive in a timely manner so not feeling like they are being held hostage to get their duely owed monies. 

Thanks,

-Lotz

Hi @lotzofuniquegoodies!

1. No, we shouldn't be blocking messages for having a different language.  

2.  Can you get me a bit more detail about this, perhaps in a post on Seller Central or Community & eBay site issues? I'm curious if these were messages you were sending to members who had purchased from you (buyers), or members you had messaged. If you were sending to members who hadn't bought from you, how were you initiating the message? Was it from the 'Ask a question' flow or via their profile page? If you can get me a screenshot of the error that would help too. 

3. Automatic triggers for release of held funds here. The quickest way to get funds released is to send items with a tracking number. I realize that's not always feasible, which is why there are other release methods. It's also important to note some new sellers may have longer release time frames depending on tenure and item price (as an example, a seller's first-ever sale of a high end iPad for $2000 may be asked to wait the complete hold period). The estimated release dates for funds will continue to display on the order itself in Seller Hub or My eBay All Selling.

Tyler,
eBay
Message 4 of 6
latest reply

@lotzofuniquegoodies wrote:

Hello Tyler,

When "mandatory" IS are required Feb 22, 2022, will sellers with items missing any of these suddenly have their listings pulled?  Will their be an email be sent to affected sellers advising them which items were involved or will those listings suddenly poof with no record and no way for a seller to repair them after the fact? I am still continuing to see the same listings either requiring new IS or recommended on a rotating recurring basis. Majority are either not applicable or not available. After the first 6 or 14 times they start to stick to the back of your mind.  🙄

-Lotzofuniquegoodies

Hi @lotzofuniquegoodies - there is no plan to 'disappear' listings that don't have the required item specifics when they become required next month. You should expect to see listings that are not in compliance require the specifics in the event of an 'edit' in the future (grandfathering) or preventing the listings from renewing as they hit their renewal dates. If an item cannot be renewed you will receive an email as to which didn't renew and why. Unrenewed listings would be available in Unsold for up to 90 days. 

Tyler,
eBay
Message 5 of 6
latest reply

tyler@ebay
Community Member

Thanks for joining the chat! It's now closed but will be back next week. 🙂

Tyler,
eBay
Message 6 of 6
latest reply