June 16 2021 Weekly Session

tyler@ebay
Community Member

Hi everyone - 

Opening up the chat for your questions. I'll begin working on answers tomorrow afternoon!

Thanks, 

Tyler

Tyler,
eBay
Message 1 of 13
latest reply
12 REPLIES 12

Hello,

Please pass on to the powers that be the decision to make Listing Promotion fees a separate transaction should be revised. That fee should be attached directly to the specific transaction. Not as a separate entity. For Canadian sellers, depending on their bank of choice they can end up paying fees for these individual bonus transactions because of the timing of funds not being in pending when they are charged. Because sellers only have 2 options for receiving funds daily and Tuesday....(Following week when there is a holiday we've now learned) it has given sellers less control of their personal funds and is costing them more in the long run illiminating any eBay suggested savings.

Originally it was categorically stated by Ebay that postage could either be covered from pending or is processed funds OR to your monthly invoice. Now the second part is no longer true and funds come out immediately, the same thing can and does happen with postage fees potentially causing additional banking fees. (Because of timing - Re: Cause and affect  😞 ). A not appreciated situation for sellers.

-Lotz

Message 2 of 13
latest reply

Will this also apply to eBay?

From an amazon.ca announcement this week...

Canadian governments introduce new marketplace tax collection (MTC) rules (also known as Marketplace Facilitator), the responsibility to calculate, collect, and remit Canadian sales taxes on goods that you sell to buyers may change.

1. * For sellers on Amazon.ca who ship goods to buyers located in Saskatchewan (SK) from any location (domestic or international): Regardless of your GST/HST or SK PST registration, MTC for SK PST will be Amazon’s responsibility for all applicable sales to buyers in Saskatchewan starting July 1, 2021.

2. * For sellers on Amazon.ca who ship goods to buyers located in Canada from a location in Canada (domestic transaction), and who have not supplied their GST/HST registration to Amazon: Amazon will be responsible for calculating, collecting, and remitting GST/HST on your domestic transactions starting July 1, 2021.

So, what's coming for ebay sellers??

-;-

Message 3 of 13
latest reply

Hi Tyler,

I was enrolled in managed payments just shy of a month ago and everything seems to be going ok however I recently noticed yesterday that the business policy section on the listing form shows manged payments however it only shows 50 listings associated with this policy.  The rest of my 8k listings still show the business policy as my old Paypal one.  

The number of listings with managed payments is climbing but only when I list new items or revise old listings.  Am I responsible for updating all of my listings to reflect the managed payments business policy?  Is this affecting any of my customers ability to search and/or pay for my items that are still showing paypal as my business policy?

From my perspectve it looks like only 50 items are eligible to be purchased under the new managed payment policy.  I'm sure this is not the case however any insight or clarification would be much appreciated.

Thank you for your time

edubb101

Message 4 of 13
latest reply

I am registered to collect GST/HST.

The tax is included in the price of the book  and shipping.

This is because books are exempt from the provincial tax.....  the provincial tax part of HST

For a province such as Ontario where HST = 13 %

I charge 5 % on books  and

13 % on postage....

eBay's invoice does not separate the calculation of tax on books   from the tax on postage.

Therefore.....  eBay should NOT calculate and collect                                                                                                                  GST/HST on my sale of books

Message 5 of 13
latest reply

Hi Tyler,

Just a follow up with my previous question but when I go into my Business Policies Section and then click on view payment policies there are 2 to choose either the old paypal policy or the managed payments policy.  Next to each payment policy it shows the active number of listings associated with each policy.  Old Paypal payment policy shows 8,275 listings associated with it and just 51 next to the managed payments policy.  I switched on May 23rd I believe to Managed Payments.

If I go to update a listing I have the option of choosing which payment policy to use though it does default to the managed payment policy however again its the number of listings associated with the MP policy (51) that has me concerned in comparison to the 8,275 that are still showing the old paypal policy.

Thank you again for your time

edubb101

Message 6 of 13
latest reply

@cumos55 wrote:

I am registered to collect GST/HST.

The tax is included in the price of the book  and shipping.

eBay's invoice does not separate the calculation of tax on books from the tax on postage.

Therefore.....  eBay should NOT calculate and collect GST/HST on my sale of books

If you already have the GST/HST bundled into your selling price, your sales tax rate would be 0% for ebay calculations.

-..-

Message 7 of 13
latest reply

"Since you missed your deadline to update your account details, your ability to create, relist, and revise listings have (sic) been disabled.  In addition, all your live listings on eBay will be removed as well.   Update your account details today, including adding your bank account information, so you can list again."

Tyler,

I got the above message from eBay today (June 15).

What is the purpose of eBay sending the above message to me?

I DID NOT MISS THEIR DEADLINE. 

I registered for MP on June 12 and have a letter from eBay confirming this.

"Thank you for your interest in managed payments.  We have received your information.  We'll send you a notification two weeks before your account is activated for managed payments, and again two business days before activation.  We will also send a confirmation notice after activation is complete."

"You may receive a separate message to add or verify additional information.  All of the information shared during and after registration allows us to send you payouts and comply  with global regulations which helps keep eBay a trusted marketplace."

Am I now going to have difficulty in continuing to sell on eBay?  Am I now going to be subjected to some eBay debacle and fiasco to get this sorted out?  I have been an eBay member since February 2000 and have a consistently perfect record.  Now eBay plans to suspend me for complying with their rules?

There's something wrong with this picture!!!!   How does this keep eBay a 'trusted Marketplace' for me?        I am not happy about this if it becomes a problem for me. 

Thanks.

gwrocen

Message 8 of 13
latest reply

@lotzofuniquegoodies wrote:

Hello,

Please pass on to the powers that be the decision to make Listing Promotion fees a separate transaction should be revised. That fee should be attached directly to the specific transaction. Not as a separate entity. For Canadian sellers, depending on their bank of choice they can end up paying fees for these individual bonus transactions because of the timing of funds not being in pending when they are charged. Because sellers only have 2 options for receiving funds daily and Tuesday....(Following week when there is a holiday we've now learned) it has given sellers less control of their personal funds and is costing them more in the long run illiminating any eBay suggested savings.

Originally it was categorically stated by Ebay that postage could either be covered from pending or is processed funds OR to your monthly invoice. Now the second part is no longer true and funds come out immediately, the same thing can and does happen with postage fees potentially causing additional banking fees. (Because of timing - Re: Cause and affect  😞 ). A not appreciated situation for sellers.

-Lotz

Thanks for this @lotzofuniquegoodies - I will get it passed on. 🙂

Tyler,
eBay
Message 9 of 13
latest reply

@ypdc_dennis wrote:

Will this also apply to eBay?

From an amazon.ca announcement this week...

Canadian governments introduce new marketplace tax collection (MTC) rules (also known as Marketplace Facilitator), the responsibility to calculate, collect, and remit Canadian sales taxes on goods that you sell to buyers may change.

1. * For sellers on Amazon.ca who ship goods to buyers located in Saskatchewan (SK) from any location (domestic or international): Regardless of your GST/HST or SK PST registration, MTC for SK PST will be Amazon’s responsibility for all applicable sales to buyers in Saskatchewan starting July 1, 2021.

2. * For sellers on Amazon.ca who ship goods to buyers located in Canada from a location in Canada (domestic transaction), and who have not supplied their GST/HST registration to Amazon: Amazon will be responsible for calculating, collecting, and remitting GST/HST on your domestic transactions starting July 1, 2021.

So, what's coming for ebay sellers??

-;-

Hi @ypdc_dennis - there's been no announcement made when it comes to tax collection for eBay Canada members. However, if that changes we will definitely make an announcement!

Tyler,
eBay
Message 10 of 13
latest reply

@edubb101 wrote:

Hi Tyler,

I was enrolled in managed payments just shy of a month ago and everything seems to be going ok however I recently noticed yesterday that the business policy section on the listing form shows manged payments however it only shows 50 listings associated with this policy.  The rest of my 8k listings still show the business policy as my old Paypal one.  

The number of listings with managed payments is climbing but only when I list new items or revise old listings.  Am I responsible for updating all of my listings to reflect the managed payments business policy?  Is this affecting any of my customers ability to search and/or pay for my items that are still showing paypal as my business policy?

From my perspectve it looks like only 50 items are eligible to be purchased under the new managed payment policy.  I'm sure this is not the case however any insight or clarification would be much appreciated.

Thank you for your time

edubb101

Hi @edubb101 - Business policies can be so picky! I'm not a payments-trained teammate, so I can't speak definitively to this, but my understanding is that once enrolled and 'activated', all your listings are moved to managed payments automatically*. 

If you have an item number that you see operating with the old PayPal policy you can quickly see if it's been activated in payments by checking it out from a logged out browser window. If you see the 'Apple Pay' or 'Google Pay' logo on the Payments section just below the listing price (screenshot below). 

If you don't see those logos then the item would be on the PayPal processing side still, and I would request a callback from a payment teammate so they can review. 

Thanks!

Payments.JPG

*The exception to this is that any auction-style listings you have running at the time of activation will run their course on the PayPal side.

Tyler,
eBay
Message 11 of 13
latest reply

@gwrocen wrote:

"Since you missed your deadline to update your account details, your ability to create, relist, and revise listings have (sic) been disabled.  In addition, all your live listings on eBay will be removed as well.   Update your account details today, including adding your bank account information, so you can list again."

Tyler,

I got the above message from eBay today (June 15).

What is the purpose of eBay sending the above message to me?

I DID NOT MISS THEIR DEADLINE. 

I registered for MP on June 12 and have a letter from eBay confirming this.

"Thank you for your interest in managed payments.  We have received your information.  We'll send you a notification two weeks before your account is activated for managed payments, and again two business days before activation.  We will also send a confirmation notice after activation is complete."

"You may receive a separate message to add or verify additional information.  All of the information shared during and after registration allows us to send you payouts and comply  with global regulations which helps keep eBay a trusted marketplace."

Am I now going to have difficulty in continuing to sell on eBay?  Am I now going to be subjected to some eBay debacle and fiasco to get this sorted out?  I have been an eBay member since February 2000 and have a consistently perfect record.  Now eBay plans to suspend me for complying with their rules?

There's something wrong with this picture!!!!   How does this keep eBay a 'trusted Marketplace' for me?        I am not happy about this if it becomes a problem for me. 

Thanks.

gwrocen

Hi @gwrocen - if you registered close to or on your deadline date it's possible that an email was queued up to be sent and wasn't caught and removed in time. If you are able to revise and list items as of today I would be inclined to believe that's what happened.

In any case, I would request a call back from a payments-trained teammate so they can review your account to make sure there is no impact to your ability to sell.  Thanks!

Tyler,
eBay
Message 12 of 13
latest reply

tyler@ebay
Community Member

Thanks for joining the chat today - it's now closed but will return next week!

Tyler,
eBay
Message 13 of 13
latest reply