Gift Card Scam

gs07379
Community Member

This is my first time selling on ebay, and I got an offer on my item, they asked me to text them as they had a few questions about my item - so I did, and they want me to add a $300 gift card in with the order as they are a US Marine and they are unable to do it themselves. I am 99% certain this is a scam, but just wanted to ask for opinions I guess? Definitely a scam right?

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

SCAM !

You spotted it -- and it's always good to report here-- even if most of us have seen it before.

There are a lot more members who read the Boards than who post here.

Best wishes on your new enterprise.

It's usually considered a Bad Idea to start selling online with something expensive. Preferable to do some buying to build feedback (a customer measure of trustworthiness, but not used by eBay to assess your account) and to sell lower value stuff you don't want anymore , because shipping is hard and you will mess up. We all do. Best to do it on something annoying rather than devastating.

Also-- I'm imagining the US Marine Corps close-order rollerblading team. Wacky fun.

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

The first indication that it is a scam is that they wanted you to text them. There is no reason that they couldn't message you through ebay.   Often they ask a seller to text and then ask them for their Paypal address so that they can pay. They can send a fake PP email saying that payment has been made even though it hasn't been. It's best to keep messages through ebay.

marnotom!
Community Member

Yup.

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Selling/Buyer-asks-for-gift-card-with-purchase-scam/td-p/29504279

Why would a US Marine want a gift card that would only work in Canada, anyway?