How does a buyer get my contact info. for local pickup or mailing payment ?

ont123
Community Member

Buyer wants to mail a payment, or do local pickup.

He can't find my contact info.

I didn't have local pickup checked off in my listing.

He said he tried the Advanced Search route, but had no luck.

Any suggestions ?

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Hi there @ont123,

If the buyer had gone through the proper purchase flow, they would be provided with your contact info, or they could request it using this form.

However, I believe that requesting info using that form will only work if they have recently made a purchase from you, and it sounds as though they have not.

I strongly recommend that you approach this transaction with caution, since the buyer has apparently decided to circumvent all of the "usual" ways for purchasing your item. 

If you're amenable to allowing local pickup, I suggest revising or relisting your item with local pickup enabled as an option, and letting the buyer know. They can then go through the proper eBay channels to get the info they need to complete the sale, and you have a record of everything on your side and are protected by eBay in case anything goes wrong.

And just to give you a heads-up, receiving payment through the mail is against eBay's Accepted payments policy. This policy is for the seller's protection, so it's in your best interest to reject offers of unauthorized forms of payment (cash in person for local pickup is OK).

Answers (9)

Answers (9)

Someone must buy the item, and not pay.

Once this is done a seller can communicate with the buyer and arrange for a local pickup.  or to have a payment mailed as a money order.

Once an item is bought on eBay, seller and buyer know each other's contact information.

All messages between buyer and seller should be through eBay Messages....  This is a record of everything that  has happened between seller and buyer.

Once something is bought the purchase will show in My eBay as a transaction... unpaid....  and can be viewed in Sales record of a transaction...  Seller can then forward information if requested by the buyer

Since the two of you are in a transaction, either one can ask for the other's contact info through eBay.

Then contact info for both parties is sent out.

Also if there is a Paypal invoice sent to the buyer, that has the buyer's personal email on it. And a spot for a message from the seller.

I'm not sure how to ask eBay for contact info.

@happy_pigeon

??

I thought the invoice also had a notes/comments section -- allowing you to include your address in another spot.  You can also select to view the invoice before it is sent.

If you are agreeable to facilitating Local Pickup, the buyer must first purchase your item. Then you send them an invoice which has all your data embedded on the bottom. Set the shipping service to Local Pickup on your invoice at bottom right. This last part is important. 

If this is an item of value, don't invite them to your home. Take a friend and go to Tim Horton's or something and meet there. 

Did you send the buyer an invoice?

Does it have your Paypal address/email on it?

Your buyer may have to scroll down.

If it does, there you are.

I tend to pay for my purchases immediately, so I'm not sure what appears on an unpaid invoice.

Our Send Invoices still say this at the bottom which makes it appear buyers are allowed to send a cheque: 

The invoice sellers send makes it look as if cheques are permittedThe invoice sellers send makes it look as if cheques are permitted

ont123
Community Member

Thanks for the info.

At one time, mailing a payment was acceptable, " IF " the buyer requested it.

I guess the policy has changed since then.  I missed that update somewhere along the way.

Thanks for the heads-up.

My best option is to re-list with local pickup enabled, that should avoid what I have encountered.

Thanks to all those who responded.

It's strange that co-coordinating a pick up is such a difficult procedure on eBay. I attempted to do a search in Help and Contact area just now using the words "Arranging a pickup/Arranging a pick up" and strangely nothing displayed other than the exchange of a vehicle.  This should be a straight forward simple process. Probably happens all the time and with a percentage of  sellers not familiar with all of the rules.  Quite often communication between the two parties is necessary prior to make sure it will work. Appears the only way you will find out is against the laws of eBay is by inadvertently swapping a number with 10 digits or any address during your correspondence or spending some time to search in help. The reason I know that the exchange of numbers is forbidden was a customer once asked me on a listing (that did not mention pickup) if it was possible for me to call him and he included his phone number. At the time the buyer was also a seller on Ebay. The bots kicked in seconds later. Thought the FBI was going to be at our doors within minutes.  Even the person I spoke to at CS felt the process was a little inflexible but told me "dems da rules". Seems like this method of completing a transaction should not be as cumbersome as it is currently and that a seller should be able to offer both delivery or pick in any listing if they so choose instead of one or the other. Local customers usually would prefer the option if possible to pick up and save the shipping charges whenever possible without having to jump through all these hoops. My apologies if I have made this any more confusing in my attempt to clarify.

-CM

After several more searches was able to locate the following:

Paying for items brings up the following but is still a little lacking in substance and clarity.

Other accepted payments

For items in certain categories (such as Motors or Real Estate), or those picked up in person, sellers can also offer to accept payment on pickup, COD (Cash on Delivery), bank-to-bank transfers, cheques, money orders, or other payment services. With these methods though, you aren't covered by the eBay Money Back Guarantee.

After clicking several more links you may find:

Accepting Payment Policy:

Policy overview

Our accepted payments policy gives buyers and sellers on eBay convenient payment options. To help ensure a safe marketplace, as a seller you can only use our approved payment methods. You also must state in your listing which specific payment methods you accept. If you accept a payment method, don't place limitations on what forms of it you accept.

Make sure your listing follows these guidelines. If it doesn't, it may be removed, and you may be subject to a range of other actions, including limits of your buying and selling privileges and suspension of your account.

These rules apply to all transaction-related correspondence between a seller and buyer, as well as to the listings.

In addition, you aren't allowed to make statements such as:

• "Contact us for payment information."

• "Contact us for other payment methods."

• "Contact us for your preferred payment method."

"Buyers may request to pay by cheque or money order."

There's only one exception: Sellers who offer payment upon pickup may include the following statement in their listings: "Contact me for payment methods to pay on pickup."

Not permitted:

• Not allowed

• Messages that include email addresses, phone numbers, or social media links, contact information or user names

Asking buyers to contact them for additional payment methods, or including misleading or unclear payment information

This policy helps to create a successful shopping and selling experience by encouraging online payment methods that are safe, easy to use, and offer strong protections for members.

ont123
Community Member

The item has been sold.

I tried sending another invoice with shipping set to Local Pickup, but the buyer informed me that my contact info. is not there.

The only thing I can think of is that unless Local Pickup is selected in the original listing(which I didn't do), then there is no way the buyer can access my contact info.

I could be wrong...