What is the alloted time window on refunding a INR claim?

Hi. I sold something to a person in Dallas Texas. It went untracked light packet Airmail. I sent it on July 11th. The lady said she still hasn't gotten it.  It normally takes 8-10 days.The expected delivery date was July 27th (on the ebay invoice).

I want to refund before she files a case and Ebay steps in to avoid the extra ebay charges and because it is the right thing to do.

First refund ever. What is time window for the refund? Is it the order form date of expected delivery July 27th?

Also I planned to ask the buyer if it shows up to please tell me and I can redo the listing so she can pay me. Is that a good idea or a bad idea? Thanks for any information.

View Entire Topic

Until the buyer files an item not received case, there is no timeline for a refund. Once the buyer opens a case, and there is no tracking showing delivery, you have to refund within 3 business days.  Ebay will give you a time as to when you have to settle the case and it is important to do it before that time. If you don't, ebay will refund on your behalf,  you will receive an unresolved claim default and you will not get your fees credited.

As long as you refund before that time, a case being opened has no real affect on your account and you will be credited your fees.

If a buyer contacts me before they open a claim, I usually ask them if they would mind waiting until a specific date and to let me know if it hasn't arrived by then.   If you mailed it on the 11th, I would probably ask them to wait until the 1 or 2nd as that would be the 3 week mark.  Most buyers are willing to wait.