What if package arrives while buyer has requested refund?

Package sent overseas with no tracking (I know, first mistake but buyer did not want to pay triple the cost). Package was mailed Nov. 27th and as of today Dec.18th they have issued a refund request stating package did not arrive? Canada Post states 10 days for 'Small Package Air International' (15 business days have now passed from the 28th when it would have gone out). Is there anything I can do or am I stuck with refunding the buyer? Can I or should I ask the buyer to wait a bit longer? I have to respond by Dec. 25th and considering this is the Christmas season possibly the mail is taking longer to arrive to Europe? First time for me. Arrrggghhh!! Smiley Sad

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

@drwho534 wrote:

Package sent overseas with no tracking (I know, first mistake but buyer did not want to pay triple the cost). Package was mailed Nov. 27th and as of today Dec.18th they have issued a refund request stating package did not arrive? Canada Post states 10 days for 'Small Package Air International' (15 business days have now passed from the 28th when it would have gone out). Is there anything I can do or am I stuck with refunding the buyer? Can I or should I ask the buyer to wait a bit longer? I have to respond by Dec. 25th and considering this is the Christmas season possibly the mail is taking longer to arrive to Europe? First time for me. Arrrggghhh!! Smiley Sad

Going to where?

Canada Post uses a stupid Small Packet time guesstimate for the entire world. Not too out of line for the UK. But for parts of Australia my experience is 15-18 business days.

And right now for the holidays Canada Post has15 business days for most International locations:

https://www.canadapost.ca/cpo/mc/personal/campaigns/holiday/default.jsf#santa

I would respond by apologizing for the holiday delivery delay, with an offer of a full refund if the package has not arrived by December 23.

-..-

Well that was close!...it all worked out in the end, not too long before the required 'ebay refund' deadline the buyer DID receive the package and their refund request to ebay was cancelled....whew!!  Lesson learned - from now on nothing sent without tracking!!!

but buyer did not want to pay triple the cost).

Then he can't afford to buy it.

If he could find it in his own country, he would buy it there.

He's looking for something hard to find, and as a grown-up he should be ready to accept that it will cost money.

And that's just for an honest buyer.

It's likely a scam, since he was apparently the one who demanded cheaper (untracked) shipping.

But you can't win.

You can be stubborn insist on following eBay's protocols.

Tell him to open an Item Not Received Dispute

• Some scammers won't do this because they don't want their shenanigans on eBay's radar.

When you get the request to refund, do so promptly.

• Sorry

Tell the scammer buyer , in the Dispute, that they can return the refund when the item arrives by using Paypal's Send Money service.

• He may still be honest and this gives him instructions about how to repay you, which otherwise would be a mystery.

Without tracking, as a seller you have zero recourse and no protection or defence against Items Not Received claims.

Give the buyer their money back, add them to your blocked bidder list, and revise any future listings to eliminate non-tracked postal options.