Why does eBay offer discount to print label directly form them? eBay's goodwilI is later revealed

Is it take all we can, because we can?  “That’s very Greedy”

I listed an item, and I was astonished when I received the amount for my transaction sold on eBay.
After my item sold I look around to get a better deal to ship the item, eBay seemed to have the best deal. A logistic broker explained that, eBay could bet getting discount on quantity. Because of the large pool of eBay Seller printing label directly from their dashboard. After all that is how he runs his logistic business, so he understands how quantity discount works.

- Fees are 14.35% of the transaction total, I find this way overpriced BTW.

Total of the transaction was $220, A separate amount “So I thought” for shipping of $15 was initially charged to the buyer to purchase the label. I selected a more premium shipping method considering I was getting a good deal, so I chose Express Mail for $20. With the newest payout method it take 15days to get pay. I got $181.25 today, I’m like WHAT??

Let’s decode this in detail, how they calculated what they owed me.

Item: $220 - 14.35% =  $188.4
Ship: $15 - 14.35% =  $2.15   -If I have to give back $2.15 the shipping discount was an illusion.
Remains:  $188.4+$12.85 = $201.25
Remains, Minus Real Shipping Cost:  $201.25 - $20 =  $181.25

I been an eBay member for a long time, but It was a first for me, with these new conditions selling on eBay. Honestlly, I’m wondering how sellers on eBay are making it. Also since, I’m more buyer online, I noticed a clear price difference eBay being generally more expensive place to buy nowdays. So, I rarely get anything on eBay anymore.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

You should have :

Selling price with FVF @ 12.55% (for coins)

Shipping fee charged customer @12.55%

Fee on Internet (state) sales tax @ 12.55%

GST on entire payment 5%

PLUS 30c non-refundable processing fee.

Actual shipping is separate because many sellers do not use eBay labels (we use Shippo or Canada Post or Paypal or stamps.com or even postage stamps.)

In any case, the customer pays for shipping, not the seller who uses her payment to buy shipping.  Note however that Canada Post has surcharges for GST and for fuel surcharge.

Most sellers consider the discount on shipping to cover packaging and insurance costs. However, upgrading can fall under those headings.

You may find this useful

https://www.ebay.com/help/selling/fees-credits-invoices/store-selling-fees?id=4809

The Final Value Fees are given well down the page.

With the newest payout method it take 15days to get pay.

Not exactly.

As a new or returning seller, your payments are Held for up to 21 days against customer satisfaction. Usually this is tracking that shows delivery.

Also when you signed up for Managed Payments, you chose between daily or weekly payouts*. Once the Hold ends, it is transferred to your bank account, if you chose weekly, on Tuesdays.

What that can mean is that if you are Paid on a Wednesday, MP will Hold your transfer until the next Tuesday. Making a WAG, that should mean that if the New Seller Hold ended on Wednesday, that payment would also be transferred on the next Tuesday.
OTOH, if the payment came on Monday evening, it would transfer a few hours later, on Tuesday.

*Some other options have been added in the past month or so.

marnotom!
Community Member

Back in the day, my wife and I tried selling stuff on eBay for others on a commission basis.  I can't remember what we charged but we worked out that it wasn't enough and I can certainly tell you that a 14.35% cut wouldn't have made it worth our while.

If you're a long-time eBay member, the memories of the days of PayPal payments and fees for those payments would still be pretty fresh in your memory.  Most people who have posted with accurate number-crunching have concluded that their overall fees haven't changed drastically since the PayPal days.  I have a feeling that your situation would be similar.

In short, if you were "making it" in the past, you'd still be "making it" now.

Your first mistake is this 14.35 % fee on coins, it is actually 12.35%

So I would ?? your other statements also...

Did you sell the item to a Canadian or did you sell it to the US, if it was the US you forgot the sales tax that eBay collects...

What about the insertion fees you forgot that...

What about the .30 transaction fee you did not include that...

Did you have any extras in your listing to sell the item??

I think your calculations are incorrect.

How about pulling the details for this item with all the fees showing and just posting that, it would be more accurate.